What's new

Cleaning nickels

cajundetector

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2023
Messages
1,028
Reaction score
2,053
Golden Thread
0
Hello all,

Want to remove the reddish patina off of a v nickel that I dug some time back. Can anyone share your preferred method. Any insights are appreciated!
 
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from HELP! over to CLEANING & PRESERVATION for more exposure.
tn_notice.gif
NOTE: Forum HELP! contains guides tutorials on how to use the new TreasureNet.com software.
 
White Vinegar works - I've dug several v nickels that had no date and and reddish or even corroded. Loose all value of the coin but at least you can see the details.
 
Thanks I’ll give it a try. Do you any scrubbing?
This is the v nickel in question. After about 24 hours of soaking in vinegar I can see the outline without much eye strain. I’m gonna soak it for another 24. Thank you !!
 

Attachments

  • 6EBCD57D-BCEA-4055-A63E-B6F037B6F054.webp
    6EBCD57D-BCEA-4055-A63E-B6F037B6F054.webp
    1,005.5 KB · Views: 104
There was a good video on youtube using gojo or fast-orange with pumice & letting it soak a day at a time, then using a tooth brush & your fingers. Repeat the procedure as needed. But it showed real nice results.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom