cleaning & preserving metal/iron relics

L

lv2jamm

cleaning & preserving metal/iron relics

I've noticed that alot of the post address cleaning coins and I was wondering if there are any recommendations for cleaning and preserving metal/iron relics. I've resently started relic hunting and in the process of cleaning some small items (hat pin, musket hammer, small buckle) have probably caused more harm than good. The soil has a lot of iron & minerals and is hardened like concrete even after the piece has soaked for some time. Is there anything out there or a process that would remove some of the soil build up with out damaging the relic? If I have a piece thats cleaned what can be put on it to protect it. Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

wolfpaw518

Oct 15, 2006
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Sharpshooter II
Re: cleaning & preserving metal/iron relics

I would like to bring this older post up again, I too am interested in cleaning relic iron and metals, and preserving them.

na1.JPG

[Mid 1800s Midwest cabin, spikes and nails, found unused near cabin.]

as you can see I've done some testing on one piece with a drummel, but I prefer not to continue this, Is there another way?

bw1.JPG

Also as I stated in another post, I've been finding different types of barbed wire and would like to preserve and display them.

I've considered chemical rust removers but wondered if there any other suggestions...

neil

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark

Sorry, have not seen the post until now.

An older fellow in my MD club swears by a product called EXTEND. He says that it is a "metal protectant" and he says it neutralizes the rust and forms a seal. He coats all of his relics with it. It goes on gray, but it turns black when it drys. He puts a few coats on each of his relics and they shine and look great for years. He loves it.
It is made by Loctite and is called EXTEND RUST TREATMENT. He says he buys it at the local auto parts store. I have never used it so I can't give my opinion, just his.
Electrolysis my take some of the surface rust/crud off of the relic. Hope it helps.

wreckvalle

Nov 20, 2006

One method which I have used quite successfully with dead eye straps and steel cable is to clean and dry the steel then heavily coat the strap or cable with Naval Jelly ( I think they re-named the product Its now called Extend). Their are two types of naval Jelly. You want the type that paints on white then dries to a hard black finish. After several coats you basically seal the artifact preventing any air from getting to and rusting the item. I have several pieces which have been preserved in the manner and have lasted nicely for over twenty years.
Check out http://www.shipwreckexpo.com/shipwreckdivingartifactpreservation.htm for additional preservation methods. Note that most of these are for items recovered from salt water and may not apply to relics found on land.
Capt. Dan

wolfpaw518

Oct 15, 2006
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Sharpshooter II

Thanks guys, ;D so it's kinda the same direction i was going, I can get the auto rust treatment which I figured would work on the clean barbed wire. As far as the cleaning the chunks off, I'll have to look into the electrolysis, I've heard a lot of mention of it but hadn't really taken that much notice, seems to me I read It wasn't to awful hard to make one....

neil

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread