L
lv2jamm
Guest
- #1
Thread Owner
cleaning & preserving metal/iron relics
I've noticed that alot of the post address cleaning coins and I was wondering if there are any recommendations for cleaning and preserving metal/iron relics. I've resently started relic hunting and in the process of cleaning some small items (hat pin, musket hammer, small buckle) have probably caused more harm than good. The soil has a lot of iron & minerals and is hardened like concrete even after the piece has soaked for some time. Is there anything out there or a process that would remove some of the soil build up with out damaging the relic? If I have a piece thats cleaned what can be put on it to protect it. Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
I've noticed that alot of the post address cleaning coins and I was wondering if there are any recommendations for cleaning and preserving metal/iron relics. I've resently started relic hunting and in the process of cleaning some small items (hat pin, musket hammer, small buckle) have probably caused more harm than good. The soil has a lot of iron & minerals and is hardened like concrete even after the piece has soaked for some time. Is there anything out there or a process that would remove some of the soil build up with out damaging the relic? If I have a piece thats cleaned what can be put on it to protect it. Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
so it's kinda the same direction i was going, I can get the auto rust treatment which I figured would work on the clean barbed wire. As far as the cleaning the chunks off, I'll have to look into the electrolysis, I've heard a lot of mention of it but hadn't really taken that much notice, seems to me I read It wasn't to awful hard to make one....






