Cleaning Sterling Silver jewelry?

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's a good way to clean sterling silver jewelry, in terms of homemade methods? I picked up these sterling silver cufflinks and tried a method I read about online. It said to line a pot with aluminum foil, add enough water to cover the jewelry, add 1 tsp each of baking soda and salt, stir, and bring it to a boil. Put in the jewelry and boil for up to 2 minutes. Well, I did that but it didn't seem to do much.

Any hope for these?
cuffs1.jpg

OP
OP
WhiteTornado

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beach, thanks, I do have some silver polish. Wasn't sure if that was safe for jewelry but I will give it a try. If nothing else, these cufflinks only cost a quarter, so no great loss :)

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aluminum foil, hot water, baking soda an salt. As soon as the silver touches the aluminum, instant shine.

OP
OP
WhiteTornado

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aluminum foil, hot water, baking soda an salt. As soon as the silver touches the aluminum, instant shine.

Tried that, per my first post. Boiled 'em for 2 minutes, not much of a change when they were done. I'll give the silver polish a go.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried that, per my first post. Boiled 'em for 2 minutes, not much of a change when they were done. I'll give the silver polish a go.

Sorry, I should have read the post all the way through. I wouldn't boil them though. Line a baking pan with foil. add 2 tablespoons of each salt and baking soda, pour the boiling water in, stir, then drop what you are trying to clean. Works for me.

OP
OP
WhiteTornado

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I should have read the post all the way through. I wouldn't boil them though. Line a baking pan with foil. add 2 tablespoons of each salt and baking soda, pour the boiling water in, stir, then drop what you are trying to clean. Works for me.

Hmm, method I read involved boiling and only 1 tsp each of the salt and baking soda. I'll have to give your method a try, thanks. Maybe the extra salt & baking soda would help.

How do you clean gold-plated sterling silver? I also picked up a set of cufflinks that are gold-plated sterling.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an ultrasonic cleaner. If that doesn't work, I just use a cream polish.

OP
OP
WhiteTornado

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the great info :icon_thumright:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I use a toothbrush and a paste of baking soda and water.

It shines my "found" rings right up.

Best of luck sir!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread