What's new

Clear Water Beach

Treasure Quest

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2008
Messages
51
Reaction score
14
Golden Thread
0
Can anyone tell me if detecting at night is allowed at clear water beach or any other nearby beaches. Thanks for the info,
 
Upvote 0
Clearwater Bch is huntable at night. Most locals cover it when the sun goes down. I'm sure there's characters that roam around so's be aware. I hear it's safe. :icon_scratch:
 
Yep! There are many that hunt CWB at night. Some of the braver or fool hardy even venture into the water at night. Go for it!
 
Re: Clearwater Beach

Right now its more like brown-water. Lots of sand and lots of hunters.
 
I was warned by one of the officers to be careful of the homeless dude with a metal detector down there... the officer said he can get aggressive sometimes. :dontknow: A good "digging tool" and a bright headlamp should keep you safe... though I'd always suggest hunting with a partner at night. You can detect most all of the beaches after dark here though.

Bran <><
 
If you hunt in water in CWB just remember a 9 foot Great white shark was caught 10 mile south of there 3 weeks ago. If you in the water in the Gulf of mexico at night you got to be NUTS. hunting in the Gulf at night is vary TABO. don't do it . Night time is the time of the SHARK !!!!! Ron Lord ,Naples Fla. :icon_pirat:
 
ron lord said:
If you hunt in water in CWB just remember a 9 foot Great white shark was caught 10 mile south of there 3 weeks ago. If you in the water in the Gulf of mexico at night you got to be NUTS. hunting in the Gulf at night is vary TABO. don't do it . Night time is the time of the SHARK !!!!! Ron Lord ,Naples Fla. :icon_pirat:

Wow... interesting?! I had no idea they were even in our waters...
Do you have the link where you read about that report? I'm trying to find it but only found some articles from 2007.

Thanks!

Bran <><
 
Tampa bay especially where Alafia river emptys into the bay is a virtual feeding, breeding ground and nursery for sharks. About a dozen shark species frequent Tampa Bay and include hammerheads, bonnetheads, nurse sharks, blacktips, lemon sharks and bull sharks to name just a few, but there are others including white sharks. They are gettting there from open waters and all beaches on the gulf side including Clearwater are on the "roads"......

Wading at dawn or dusk in shallow waters can be dangerous, although I have done it as well a few times, I usually try not to....................




http://www.baysoundings.com/fall04/predators.html
 
godisnum1 said:
I was warned by one of the officers to be careful of the homeless dude with a metal detector down there... the officer said he can get aggressive sometimes. :dontknow: A good "digging tool" and a bright headlamp should keep you safe... though I'd always suggest hunting with a partner at night. You can detect most all of the beaches after dark here though.

Bran <><

i was hunting there with a friend at night not too long ago and I think he ran into this guy.....he said the guy kept yelling " i`ll kil you , i`ll kill you- i see you hunting my beach"

this was about 11-12pm and was on the south end near the rocks... it is a bit darker on that end at night when there is no moon..
i didn`t see him...but like most nights i don`t see anyone until they get pretty close to you....one minute you think you`re alone then people walk by me...

only problem i`ve had were the drunks asking questions and getting real close like they might step on your detector and they can get quite aggravated when you don`t answer right or stay and chat with them.

well with that said, good luck!
 
well, you can carry concealed. :headbang:

The sharks are everywhere, but the stingrays are the ones that will get ya. right at the surfline while you're thinking of the goodies.
 
godisnum1 said:
I was warned by one of the officers to be careful of the homeless dude with a metal detector down there... the officer said he can get aggressive sometimes. :dontknow: A good "digging tool" and a bright headlamp should keep you safe... though I'd always suggest hunting with a partner at night. You can detect most all of the beaches after dark here though.

Bran <><

I know that guy. He's usually just looking for beer money-most of the time he's in lock-up anyway. North beach (frenchies/Palm area) is a haven for the homeless, since a bunch sleep in the park across the street.
 
Right now, the most prominent problem is that school is out, and there so many kids out late-partying and so on.
 
ron lord said:
If you hunt in water in CWB just remember a 9 foot Great white shark was caught 10 mile south of there 3 weeks ago. If you in the water in the Gulf of mexico at night you got to be NUTS. hunting in the Gulf at night is vary TABO. don't do it . Night time is the time of the SHARK !!!!! Ron Lord ,Naples Fla. :icon_pirat:
Sorry, but dont believe that Ron.... Not you, but your source.. GW Sharks are a "cool water" shark, and do not like the hot water we have this time of year... Could be one was caught offshore in the deeper, cooler water, but not in the hot water we now have in waist deep water.. I know they are around in the Winter, when the water cools way down (Saw one ONCE, diving, but only about 8 ft or so)
Also, I had an interesting thing happen last time at Miami... Had a reef shark (pretty sure it wasnt a Bull) come swimming right b me in waist deep water, and when it got close, it suddenly veered off and took off liike it was spooked... I have a suspicion it did not like the powerful electric field that the machine puts off... I am a diver, and people wear what is called a "Shark Shield" that works by surrounding the diver with a strong electrical field..
Also, with almost all shark attacks happening in around knee deep water, why is there not one incident of an MD'er getting hit?? Plenty of swimmers and fisherman, but not one MD'er... Makes me think my theory may be correct.. Many MD'er out at night, in just the right depth of water, and we all know how many sharks we have and that they mostly hunt at night...
Anyway, Bull Sharks are the only ones I have ever had problems with diving, and they worry me.. But hopefully, my theory is correct and we will NEVER hear of an MD'er being taken down...

HH
 
godisnum1 said:
I was warned by one of the officers to be careful of the homeless dude with a metal detector down there... the officer said he can get aggressive sometimes. :dontknow: A good "digging tool" and a bright headlamp should keep you safe... though I'd always suggest hunting with a partner at night. You can detect most all of the beaches after dark here though.

Bran <><
I just about fell off my chair when I read that.... LMAO! First thing came to my mind was wondering if this "Homeless MD'er" is Snooksions buddy that hunts full time and lives in his van.... I will have to tell Snooksion about this so he can check... "Homeless Metal Detector".... Man, that is just plain funny!!!
 
i saw a couple there a few weeks ago....they had a van parked across from mcD's in the parking lot...both looked like serious hunters...man and woman....excalls if i remember right
said they had hunted all day and only a handfull of change and some small ear ring or something...white van and i think a bed in back...
 
I hunt almost exclusively at night. I've never had any problems. I guess if its my time its just my time.
 
Just a refresher for those who don't remember what they look like.... ;D

800px-jaws_great_white_shark_south_.jpg
 
I'm from the West Coast and lived in Northern California for a few years... I was introduced to Free Diving by Randy Fry, who was taken by a great white in 2004.... I should say that in all my time diving there, I never saw one.... But you never do. Randy hopefully didnt even see it coming, I pray he didnt.. I cant imagine that fleeting unimaginable fear you would have if you saw it just before it bit you in two..

I have had 3 Bull Sharks mess with me while spearfishing, strange thing is, only one while freediving.. Always in deep water on tanks, with fish in tow... BUT... I have had several circle me in the Tampa Bay area and one took two good pokes before it would swim off... They are NASTY looking beasts, where I find all other sharks beautiful and stunning in the water, even Hammer Heads...
It would be nice to have stats as to how many MD'ers have hunted at night, or dusk, or even (the worst attacks occur then) in murky water, and havent been hit, and compare that to how many fisherman have been in the same scenarios, and been hit.. I know the numbers arent even close, but those with great statistics skills could still make a correlation, and again, I have a feeling that the strong electrical field that surrounds us could be a great deterrent... Think about the distance you must keep from another MD'er just to avoid that horrible static.. Usually a good 15 ft...
Man oh man, how I can go on.. Sorry folks, but it is an interesting topic..
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom