What's new

Clip

Rosco53

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2018
Messages
720
Reaction score
1,749
Golden Thread
0
Location
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Not 100% sure as the opposite end doesn't seem off that much, but could be my 3rd clipped planchet:
S20180924_0001.webpS20180924_0002.webp

If you look on the reverse by the "of", I think that may be a little of the Blakesley effect, but seems to me like it should be more pronounced with that much missing?

Regardless, N=nearly makes up for my worst-to-date bag just before it (5 wheats and 2 canadians total). Happy hunting everyone!
 
Upvote 0
Seems legit to me
 
I think it is likely a legit clip.

It sounds like OP is familiar with the Blakesley effect. In case anyone else is wondering what that is . . .

Basically the Blakesley effect is that when the clipped planchet is struck, the RIM opposite the clip does not form as it normally would. By opposite, that means 180 degrees from the clip (not opposite face of the coin).

I'd say that you are seeing the Blakesley effect on the obverse below the bust (near the wrinkles of the jacket).
 

Attachments

  • Blakesley.webp
    Blakesley.webp
    22.3 KB · Views: 119
Looks genuine to me.
 
It has the Blakesley effect and looks good to me.
 
I think it is likely a legit clip.

It sounds like OP is familiar with the Blakesley effect. In case anyone else is wondering what that is . . .

Basically the Blakesley effect is that when the clipped planchet is struck, the RIM opposite the clip does not form as it normally would. By opposite, that means 180 degrees from the clip (not opposite face of the coin).

I'd say that you are seeing the Blakesley effect on the obverse below the bust (near the wrinkles of the jacket).

K, I was confused as I thought it was supposed to be kinda the equivalent, not just the rim. Thanks for the insight!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom