CLR for cleaning clad

Rumblebelly

Jan 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
(RS)Discovery 2000, white's bullseye, NEW DFX!!!
hello all,

I when to turn in my metal detecting coins for the last 2 years and they told me that they would not take the tarnished/stained coins. The teller said they used CLR to shine them up? Has anyone tried this? I only want to cash them in, they're all clad. If no one has tried it I will on a few coins.

the zinc pennies have salt stains on them (found in snow piles) and the vinegar & salt water soak did not clean them too good.

the quarters, nickels and dimes are a little brown looking.
any help is appreciated.... thank you in advance for your help
Rumblebelly

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
So the bank is refusing to deposit money? That is a new one to me. I'd go back and demand to speak to their manager. You shouldn't have to clean your money. If they still insist on raising a stink, I would buy rolls of the denominations that you wish to change. Proceed to dip the coins that you want to change in jelly and swap them out in the rolls. Go back to the bank and deposit the rolls. Sticky fingers for the teller.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Diver_Down said:
So the bank is refusing to deposit money? That is a new one to me. I'd go back and demand to speak to their manager. You shouldn't have to clean your money. If they still insist on raising a stink, I would buy rolls of the denominations that you wish to change. Proceed to dip the coins that you want to change in jelly and swap them out in the rolls. Go back to the bank and deposit the rolls. Sticky fingers for the teller.

:icon_scratch: ???

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
Diver_Down said:

What don't you understand, Sherm? Sure the jelly swap isn't necessary, but the bank is out of line for not accepting money for deposit. It is their obligation. Minted coin released through the proper channels is guaranteed money whereas notes are merely promises to redeem the note based on it's denomination. The promise is backed by the Federal Reserve whereas the coin is backed by the government. You might think they are one in the same but the Federal Reserve is a private bank with the government's blessing. I just took a tour of the Federal Reserve of the Atlanta division. It is their responsibility to decide the fitness of our currency. If the coin or notes are unfit, they are destroyed. It is not the local bank's decision.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Diver_Down said:
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
Diver_Down said:

What don't you understand, Sherm? Sure the jelly swap isn't necessary, but the bank is out of line for not accepting money for deposit. It is their obligation. Minted coin released through the proper channels is guaranteed money whereas notes are merely promises to redeem the note based on it's denomination. The promise is backed by the Federal Reserve whereas the coin is backed by the government. You might think they are one in the same but the Federal Reserve is a private bank with the government's blessing. I just took a tour of the Federal Reserve of the Atlanta division. It is their responsibility to decide the fitness of our currency. If the coin or notes are unfit, they are destroyed. It is not the local bank's decision.

"What don't you understand, Sherm?"

I think I understand what you said.
That is not in question. ;D :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread