Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold is inert. It does not emit a gas, regardless of how long it's been buried.

If gold did emit a gas, or cause black marks on rocks, then nugget hunting would be a whole lot easier than it actually is. And the gold would be dissolving away.

When someone makes an assertive claim, the court of science places the burden on them to provide proof of the claim. It is not up to a skeptic to prove it wrong.

As Jim has asked several times, can anyone, anywhere, provide scientific evidence that buried gold or silver produces a gas? Please don't say "I've seen it;" lots of people have seen lots of things, and have been totally wrong about what they believe they saw.

- Carl

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gflores71 said:
when I speak of gas I believe it applies to treasures that are old and that are in direct contact to ground, say buried in wood that decomposed, or leather, etc, a sealed glass container of more modern caches probably does not follow the same rules due to lack of exposure to the soil and humidity.

Dont forget that natural mineral deposits expell gas as well, ferrous materials will tend to give off a more redish color, and also consider ant colonies that form methane and will give off gas, and sometimes even explode.? Places that give off a more redish color per description of the natives, once detected and dug have revealed iron tools and guns, not very thrilling economically but any man made find is exciting.

In gold mining areas, most caches of raw gold are found wrapped in leather, where as regular coin caches are found in clay pots, or bronze pans, so copper is a very GOOD signal when looking for caches.

gilbert

CARL.

I? THINK gflores Actual Statement, Dosn't Mention GOLD Decomposing Or Giving Off anything That I see.

I'm not Sure at this Pont WHO decided he did, I'll Look as I re-Read from This Point Down to Present.

Can you Shed Any Light On What he's Actually Saying ?

Which My take, IS, Certain Items like Leather,
Or Even Ground,
When Exposed to CERTAIN Ferrous & Non-Ferrous Metals, For a Great length, React.
Giving off a Stain (LIKE RUST, halo effect) and under Some Circumstances Give off an Odor, & or Visable Gas.

P.S.
? ? ? ? ?If any of You SKEPTICS Metal Detect, Have you Ever Pulled a
? ? ? Silver Coin & a Copper Coin out of the Ground That were lying
? ? ? there on Top of Each other, And The Silver Coin Had a Ring From the Copper Coin,
? ? ? ? Or even a Nail Laying on a Silver coin ?
? ? ? ? ? ?IS THIS NOT A REACTION ?
? ? ? ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HiiiQ said:
In my opinion the lghts seen over buried treasure are "ball lightning" or "treasue lights" In the northern hemispere gold gives off blue light in the spring. Silver gives off orange light n the fall. It happens on particular dates on full moon. It can also happen during earthquakes.
http://www.amasci.com/weird/unusual/bl.html

OK, I believe this Is the First Post Saying GOLD Gives off a Light.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff: "I THINK gflores Actual Statement, Dosn't Mention GOLD Decomposing Or Giving Off anything That I see."

gflores: "caches acumulate gas with time..."

gflores: "when I speak of gas I believe it applies to treasures that are old and that are in direct contact to ground"

If "caches" and "treasures" do not refer to gold & silver, then what? Foxfire and ants?

Jeff: "If any of You SKEPTICS Metal Detect, Have you Ever Pulled a Silver Coin & a Copper Coin out of the Ground That were lying there on Top of Each other, And The Silver Coin Had a Ring From the Copper Coin, Or even a Nail Laying on a Silver coin ? IS THIS NOT A REACTION ?"

Sure, who would deny that silver or copper can oxidize? Gold? No way. Gold or silver emitting gases that can be visually seen, or that leave black and blue marks on rocks? I don't think so.

Evidence, please.

- Carl

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carl-NC said:
If "caches" and "treasures" do not refer to gold & silver, then what? Foxfire and ants?

- Carl

? ?I didn't Believe Silver Can be Lumped with Gold in this,
? As I Honestly Don't Know IF silver Can Stain a rock under CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES.
? ?But Your More Up on these things then I.

Can you answer me This, Out of HONEST CURIOSITY on My part ?
Can Silver Give A HALO EFFECT ?
If NO........ Why can I get a Better signal on an Old Silver Coin
As Compared to a Recently Buried Coin ?
Is it In My Imagination, that I can dig a dime at 10"
But IF I bury one at 7" I can't get a Signal ?
======================
======================
? I agree On everything But This Carl? ;D

? ?I believe at some place in his posts he Mentions a Rusted Gun ?

? ? ? ? ? ? If that gun was Hidden away, Dosn't that Become a CACHE ?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? When I think of CACHES I'm not only thinking about Bandit Loot.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?GOLD & SILVER,
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?A cache to Me is anything Hidden away.

? ?SORRY for being PICKY here.

? ? ? ? ?THANKS for Responding
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Jeff

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RealdeTayopa said:
.?

A) I have been hunting caches in old Mexico for some years.? ?I agree with Sr Flores on the fires. & gas.? I personally have seen them.? Originally I disbelieved that also, and? dedicated a bit of my treasure hunting time and resources to proving to the locals that it was just a silly superstition.? I had to back down after finding? Metal - no, no gold.?

I have talked to many successful hunters that found their? treasures just that way, and I also lost 3 because some-one saw a fire and investigated before I moved sigh.? Interesting stories here if interested.

They claim that the type of metal can be identified by the color?? White for iron, Blue for silver , gold for gold.

Want to get into to it?? hehe/

Jose de La Mancha? ( I tilt windmills )? & SHIBBOLETHS.

JEFF I think this is where the gold giving off things came into the picture, as well the post (which you already quoted) that gold gave of a blue fire/light/color/flame/aura/halo????

Z

ZumbroKid

I was waiting for this halo effect to come up! All those detectorists that dug deeper coins must be mistaken. LOL ;D

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
Unfortunately this thread has been stressing me out.? Agree to disagree, give your reasons supporting your point of view, then end with a friendly ":)" or something.? See? --->? :)

Z

ZumbroKid

I totally agrre with the posted thread here, but if all supporting evidence was included it might bog the server down. Nobody who enjoys tnet would want that to happen. :)

OP
OP
gflores71

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Central Coast, CA / Bolivia
Detector(s) used
White's V3, MXT All Pro, DFX, XLPro,TM-808, TDI-SL with 25" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I was trying to post earlier and the whole message was ereased when trying to put a picture

My experience has shown me that generally silver and gold coins are found together, also remember that gold itself is not pure in nature or in coin form, coins are generally 92% pure even dating back to the 1700's

I am not trying to convince anyone of my beliefs, I am just sharing what I have learned.? I too was skeptical of the "stories " I heard when I began looking for caches.? I personally do not need 10 harvard studies to tell me that if put my finger close to a flame it will hurt, in a similar way , what I have experienced personally overides everything I may be able to find or not find on the internet.

the title is clues for cache hunting, however I have yet to see any posted, take what may be useful to you and discard what is not, I am not trying to convince anyone of anything.

Old houses where built with adobe, despite the finished look being comparable to modern walls, sometimes they were 3-5 feet wide to support the structure.? People had rectangular or square cavities in the walls that had wood shelves, in other words used as a cabinet or somewhere to put things,? some put their valuables in these and covered them so that you could not tell there was something behind the refinished wall.
So always detect the walls in old constructions.

I was planing a trip over xmas , however will not be able to go until july, I will however try to get my father to take pictures of the stains on the rocks where two of our projects took place, since the stains will not fade, I will post these sometime in january once he is back.

Here is a picture of two items found in a wall in a 200 yr old home earlier this year, yes all the rocks are diamonds, and the middle one is a pearl.? I am trying to determine how old these items are but some coins that were with them were from the 1800's.

Attachments

• Wall Cache.JPG
    Wall Cache.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 2,465
Z

ZumbroKid

Nobody had any clues to give? What a shame. Go to the one i put up called, " iron pot of gold coins". Ask away there is much info in the newspaper article that might be usefull in other searches in other areas. I have to work soon. but will take the time to post more details. After all i'm froze in up here. :) PS this one was placed under the kitchen area according to the article. Were there vapors given off? We can only wonder. ;)

OP
OP
gflores71

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks FreeTwoDtect, I will be looking forward to reading about others experiences.

Snee, I only had the rocks verified as diamonds, but not apraised, since I find it hard to depart with most items.

Many rich land owners in the past had employees to do the work and probably did not get their hands dirty much, when trying to hide their goods, they had an employee dig a hole in the ground to plant trees etc, and once the employee would leave they would put their goods, and cover them and have a plant placed on top.

I have not experienced this personally but know of people who have found them exactly under a tree in farms, or back yards, and oddly usually prune trees?? why I dont know, maybe growth rate or who knows.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERY Nice Finds.

I like the Ring.

OP
OP
gflores71

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff,

Do you know why a two box would still pick up a signal after an item has been removed, at over 2 feet deep??
I did verify of course that there was not anything below deeper.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possably Ground Minerals ?

? ? ? Or ?

What was it You Dug out ?

? ? ? ? ? ?Was it Rusted Enough to Leave a Layer Still There ?

Are You 100% sure you Shouldn't have dug 1" Deeper ?
HOW could you Confirm There was Nothing Deeper ?

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
? ?Can Silver Give A HALO EFFECT ?
? ? ? If NO........ Why can I get a Better signal on an Old Silver Coin
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? As Compared to a Recently Buried Coin ?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Is it In My Imagination, that I can dig a dime at 10"
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? But IF I bury one at 7" I can't get a Signal ?

Iron oxidation can affect target response, no question. I might concede to this effect for copper; probably not silver; definitely not gold. For silver & gold, the "halo effect" is largely a myth.

- Carl

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gflores71 said:
Do you know why a two box would still pick up a signal after an item has been removed, at over 2 feet deep??

There is a likely explanation, that does not involve a target halo.

- Carl

OP
OP
gflores71

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff,

This was a previously dug treasure site, the one I mentioned above, I did dig deeper to the point that the ground was virgin, meaning natural layers and no objects or rocks out of place, you can tell old caches because clearly at the floor of the hole the ground is harder and takes the shape of what was previously there, like a pan, in those times they were usually made of copper alloys , but yes I did dig deeper past the virgin layer. no evidence of rust or anything else.

I guess the halo effect some are mentioning??

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carl-NC said:
gflores71 said:

There is a likely explanation, that does not involve a target halo.

- Carl

I'd Like to Know what it is? ;D
? ? ? ? ? ? I use an electronic Probe (SUNRAY) for Every Signal, So I never Dig Deeper then the Target.

? ? So Falling Into the Hole Deeper Is NOT an Answer here.

I guess Some Things Just Have Never Been Investigated by Scientists, And Just Have to Be Taken at their
Self Worth ;) PROOF WITHOUT Scientific Facts to Back them up :P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread