gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Central Coast, CA / Bolivia
Detector(s) used
White's V3, MXT All Pro, DFX, XLPro,TM-808, TDI-SL with 25" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ecominer,

You described a 3 x2 foot area sounding off, for a two box sounds like something relatively small, I think you should have probably found it by digging to 6 feet deep.
Tree roots do sound off sometimes but usually with loop detectors and should not affect your gemini III
A two box detector will not work inside a hole, it overloads the signal, since it is surrounded by more soil, and gives you a false signal
I guess you would have to judge the strength of the signal measured with the meter, not by sound to the surrounding area, if it jumps from 20 to 80 within inches, then I would get excited if it does it gradually then could be mineral concentration.

hope this helps

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
garrett, minelab, tesoro, whites
He is correct in saying a two box does not work well inside a hole.

I have run into the same problem at a site before. A Gemini III and a Whites TM 808 did the exact same thing.
I had a change in soil the same as you and according to both manufactures, the soil change is the problem. I did the same thing as you, digging a large hole, before coming to the conclusion something was wrong. I eventually double checked the hole with a Schonstadt metal locator to verify no iron or steel was in the hole.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would take a Regular detector.
? Preferably,
An Explorer or Sovereign with a 15" WOT COIL
? OR, An XLT or DFX, Or a 1500 with a Large Coil & Scan the walls & Bottom.

OP
OP
gflores71

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap a loop detector will work better inside a hole, but it will also be affected by the surrounding ground, just not nearly as much as a two box

N

Noble Metal

Dear Ecominer,

Next trip in take a couple planks to put across your hole, and then check your audio again by standing and walking on those....

OP
OP
gflores71

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any more clues or personal experiences in searching for caches??

bigticket

Nov 9, 2005
jeff of pa said:
When Someone Gives A Idea What to look for, WHY IS IT NECESSARY,

To Know WHY it works ?
Not why, but how.
It is important because if you know how equipment and natural phenomena work, that knowledge can help you in treasure hunting.
jeff of pa said:
I Don't Need to Know WHY My Detector Works.

I Don't need to See Scientific Reports ?

I turn it on and at Works !

THIS IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME
Everyone who who reads this should know that this guy has found a lot of treasure.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index....7135f91f6588293295d766d2c&topic=6789.msg38870
I suspect that he does know at least something about how detectors work, and that that has helped him. I also suspect that if he knew more about detectors, he would do even better than he already has.
This idea applies to an even greater extent to understanding natural phenomena.

S

suffolkboy

Can't say I've ever heard of the 'gas' theory over here in England.Most of our surveying is on 'boring' old empty arable fields.But if you are chasing caches from the Colonial period the advice I would offer is;
Do plenty of research.Identify the areas where people had to move fast-whether it be from Patriots/loyalist or native American attacks.Obviously look out for the (or the sites of ) the richer properties,especially ones that have a number of footpaths/trails terminating in the location.Work the sites of the buildings in the vicinity,and get low on the floor (seriously,this is something the English archaeologists always use!) and look around you.'Lumps and bumps',which might be covering over lost foundations,vanished hedgebanks or tree stumps,will be a lot more apparent than when you are standing normally.Investigate these areas carefully,as well as any location where nice,single recoveries have been made.There just might be more.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I'm a Chemist, I'm far from being any kind of expert in gold and/or silver chemistry, however I'll just toss out a few things I thought of while reading this thread:

1. I'm a skeptic by nature and tend to not believe things unless I see them, so my first tendancy (and I suppose that's the scientist in me also) is to cast doubt on the fact that any caches of gold or silver can give off any kind of noticeable "glow."

2. That said, I do believe it's possible that over time a supply of gold or silver could come in contact with a multitude of different things that could chemically have an affect on the metals. Soils can be acidic or basic, there are definite decomposition products that can occur in the ground that give off other chemicals etc... I can't personally think of any gaseous compounds of silver or gold, but I won't say they can't exist.

3. It seems to me that what's being referred to here is something more along the lines of a "luminscence" effect rather than some kind of gasses that "ignite" or self combust or something to produce a flame. I honestly doubt that there is any kind of real flame occurring when you look at what it would take physically for that to happen - however, the idea that a small portion of the metal has experienced some reaction that allows it to give off a "glow" for a short time (while I still have my doubts) isn't beyond belief imho.

I don't have time tonight to look anything up online, but if anyone wants to research this further, I'd say do some searches using the words "luminescence," "photoluminescence" or "flourescence" along with gold or silver and see if you find anything.

Although I'm a skeptic regarding this idea of caches giving off different colored "glows," depending on the metal present, I'm also not dumb enough to say it can't happen, it just seems to me that it would be a rare occurence and would require an awful lot of perfect conditions for it to happen.

OP
OP
gflores71

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nothing is eternal, otherwise there probably would not be so many elements, as inert as gold may be defined it still reacts with substances under certain conitions, like mercury, and is usually mixed with other elements.

the posibilities are many but I will not worry about the actual chemical process or wether some reaction really happens. All I know is that lights yield treasure.

In medicine there are some medications, from chemotherapy to antibiotics that yield a positive result, and we do not know the actual mechanism, and can not explain it. As much as we may want to deny their result because we can not prove the mechanism, they still work

gord

Mar 30, 2005
London, ON
gflores71 said:
nothing is eternal, otherwise there probably would not be so many elements, as inert as gold may be defined it still reacts with substances under certain conitions, like mercury, and is usually mixed with other elements.

Actually, one gold-recovery process used to involve stuffing a hollowed-out potato with a mercury ore powder, putting the plug back in, and dropping it into the fire-pit. After a while the moisture/heat combination allows the potato to absorb the rest of the stuffing, leaving a drop of gold (if there was any in the ore to begin with). Just don't try eating the baked potato afterward!

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
author=SWR ]
Howdy Cubsfan,

As a ?Treasure Hunter? of sorts, I for one am glad that gold is inert*. As mentioned previously, the source fuel (gold) would eventually dissolve, or deplete itself over a period of time.

HH, Jim

*Inert - Not readily reactive with other elements; forming few or no chemical compounds
.~~~~
A) I am glad that you typed in "readily", since almost any of Halides will react with Gold, plus many other naturally occuring elements under certain conditions..

The fires referred to are luminous, not the result of combustion, and yes they exist, I myself have seen them.

Till Eulenspeigle

N

Noble Metal

SWR, some of us abroad have seen and heard many more things than you and many have yet experianced; and that is just the way it is I guess.

And gflores71, Hi and hello, wherever you are, stay safe, and just a note to say I very much would Love to hunt with you in South America sometime in the years ahead if ever possible, and Thanks, Noble Metal.

OP
OP
gflores71

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Noble Metal,

I am currently preparing for a trip to Bolivia in august or september, let me know if you wish to go, you are more than wellcome. American Airlines has daily flights as well as other companies, and we can pick you up from the closest airport or if any trouble I will pick you up on a cessna my self. We will be looking for caches and also prospecting in some of our land were the spanish and jesuits mined for gold, if you stick around long enough we can go to the amazon to do some fishing for peacock bass as well, take care

Z

ZumbroKid

Do not post any pictures unless you wish to. There does not seem to be many people making these demands. In fact the ones wanting photos seem to hardly ever post any of there own.

dirtyknees

Jun 10, 2005
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
White coinmaster 6000/D GEB discrim
Very interesting post, whether you "believe" or not. I'm not much of a cache hunter (I found some empty Night Train bottles behind the paneling in my basement after we moved in, no money :D) but knowledge is essential, and hope to add this info to memory. I for one appreciate it.
As far as S. America goes, I believe there are many things which can and do happen there that cannot be explained (heard of spiders that can spit up to 5 ft. away - could be a story though).

Good luck in S. America - always wanted to see the ruins of the temples down there.

Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread