Coarsegold area UPDATE

Inform

Greenie
May 3, 2009
I have a question for you all...has anyone ever heard about a stagecoach robbery and gold coins being hidden and never found? I have heard a story, but wondered if it is true?

Update, with more accurate info: This was a tiny MINT,(stage was coming to pick up and take to SF) and they went to hide the coins before robbers got there, as they were informed that they were coming. When robbers got there, they killed the people at assay office, but they had ridden out less than a minute before returning, having hidden the coins.

ANy help?

ghostdog

Apr 22, 2007
Hi Imform,there is a story about that robbery in the Frank Fish book, I believe he found some of those coins, the coins where very unusual in their mintage style. I cannot check the book at this time, good luck.

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey gang,
This is very common in treasure stories, people hid gold ( good people or robbers ), everyone gets shot and no one can find the gold... If everyone was killed then who knew of the gold ?? Did they really have any gold ?? And my favorite suspicious, when the law came out to investigate, did they find and not tell anyone about the gold ??? and with all the time that has passed, maybe someone did find it... and the smart ones NEVER tell... But as a treasure hunter... you still have to look. Good luck...

PLL

P

pippinwhitepaws

:sign10:
chased that story today..check in todays photos...'ugly desert'

;D

ghostdog

Apr 22, 2007
from the book,who murderd frank fish,the American govt.set up a portable mint in columbia calif. ,the mint would cast the raw gold of miners into $20.00 gold pieces.this service was provided free of charge.A cast was made that totalled$600,000.Two drivers and 4 outriders,well armed pulled by 6 mules,left columbia with the hughe load of gold pieces in metal was tubs,and that was the last anyone ever saw them,they just vanished.These gold coins were like no other,and none had ever turned unil Frank found some. Frank traced the wagon route through old letters and papers he had,and searched the likely ambush sites. Following this route he found another older cabin, that he belived was a outlaw hangout,and dug up more treasure not related to the $600,00.in gold coin.{Who Murdered Frank Fish,Ben T. Traywick,1993}

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread