Coil Change Question

P47RCFlyer

Jan 16, 2013
White Oak, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett "Ace 250", Garrett "Groundhog", BH "Tracker IV", Garrett Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys. I've been using a stock ACE 250 for the last 3 months or so and i really like the unit. However, I have been noticing in a lot of the ATPro threads on here people are changing the stock ATPro coil out for the 5x8 DD. Question is, would i get the same improved effect if i changed over to the 5x8 DD on my 250?

Thanks,

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yup....but you may have to make a couple adjustments on pinpointing and id.....worth it tho

OP
OP
P47RCFlyer

P47RCFlyer

Jan 16, 2013
White Oak, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup....but you may have to make a couple adjustments on pinpointing and id.....worth it tho

I'm not sure what that would require. I'm not up on modifying things like that. Is it difficult to do or should i take it somewhere to have it done?

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P47RCFlyer ,

I own a White's GMT that came with the stock 8 x 10 DD coil and I purchsed the 4 x 6 DD coil. I also own an XLT with an assortment of coils including the 4 x 8 DD for it.

In both cases the 4 x 8's search pattern tightens up the search pattern and I've found good targets with it. The 4 x 8 being a small coil physically fits in smaller places and due to its smaller size has an easier time locating good finds between trash targets, the type of search pattern from the DD coil as well as its small size all add to its ability to find good in among bad targets.

I am pleased with my DD coils and of course they are made for the frequency of my machines so as long as the coil is made for your machine then it will be a positive addition to your metal detecting experience. Understand that due to its small size it forces you to go slower and that is what people say all the time anyway so it is not a bad attribute.

I would purchase it if it were for my machine! Hope this helps....................63bkpkr

OP
OP
P47RCFlyer

P47RCFlyer

Jan 16, 2013
White Oak, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. Kellyco has a Garrett 5x8dd that is made for the ACE series. Since it is made for the ACE would i still have to adjust it as "bigfoot1" mentioned above?

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as it is made for the Ace series then it should have the proper kHz factor built into it and pinpointing and ID's should be the same.

I've not noticed any differences with either of my machines using any of the coils that are made for them as compared to the stock coil that came with the machine. Hey, better yet, confirm this with the folks that make your detector!!..................63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread