What's new

Coil covers on 1280 and cz21

Oldpirate

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2018
Messages
35
Reaction score
86
Golden Thread
0
Location
Savannah Georgia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Minelab equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I purchased the 8” coil cover for both neither seem to fit who uses the coil cover who doesn’t.
 
My cover for the CZ 8" fits fine.
 
ones for cz21 fit very tight - try to get one off is usually the prob for me - youll never get a long used one off
in one piece - i have worn thru more than a couple and had to replace - i hunt waters with lots of rocks (ones in fla. and carib. with lots of coral)
you need a coil cover or you will wear thru your actual coil in places like this - even just sand does a job on then if you hunt often
(I own 3 CZ21s)
 
if you go to youtube and search
Casper metal detecting you will see some slide shows with finds made with CZ21s
Over last 6 yrs
 
"CASPER", you just gave me a thought. Bear with me on this. In the construction industry, we would run beads of weld of a harder metal on
the "vulnerable for wear" surfaces of our excavating machine's buckets. (backhoes, front-end loaders etc.). It was known as "hard surfacing". This protected the "factory stock" buckets from wear.
I used to use White's PI 1000's for underwater work in the Carib & in ponds, lakes & The Atlantic Ocean around New England. Never had covers.
Yes, the coil could get beat up & be vulnerable to damage. Now, on my land & shallow water machines, White's 6000 D's & Di's, I did have coil covers but as an added precaution, I ran beads of "GE Silicone Seal" around the seam between the coil & the cover just to be sure no water or sand got in there. I also siliconed where the cord goes into the top of the coils as an added precaution.
Those machines are still usable to this day & the silicone is still stuck to the coil & cover as tight as a drum. This after 30 to 40 years.
I mentioned "GE" because I trust the brand & use their silicone seal for many things. I've even patched holes in car & truck mufflers with it & it works great even with the hot metal.
Now, I never tried doing this on the bottoms or perimeters on my PI 1000's coils, but I did silicone the crap out of the top of the coil where the cord meets the coil. Those machines go back to 1985 & the silicone is still stuck like it was put there yesterday. It will take an experiment and it wouldn't add significant weight & shouldn't interfere with the coils performance. I'm guessing that it might stick well to the coils of the newer machines also. It is something to consider trying on the perimeter & the bottom of the coil. A thin surface of silicone might be just as good as a cover, & if it wears over time, just fill in the gaps as needed with new silicone. Just something to ponder & maybe test on an older machine you have kicking around. At Home Depot a tube for a caulking gun is about 6 or 7 bucks. I've only land detected once in the last 18 months & haven't done any water work since 1998, but the silicone still looks good on all my machines.
Happy hunting & thanks for all your great posts. CHEERS !! J.T.G.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom