Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max international
Garrett AT Gold
Radio Shack MICRONTA 3001
AT propointer
34'' Bushpro stainless steel tree planters shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious if anyone glues their coil covers on? Have on a few occasions picked up rusty pieces of tin can and other thin metal bits between cover and coil without noticing untill the end of the hunt or just before next after removing to clean.. Also go through a couple a season, per coil, specially when detecting gravel bars and rockier backcountry sites. Does anyone attach or seal their covers with adhesive to improve performance/hunting experience or lengthen useable life? if so what adhesive is best to use?

NO. You will always pick up sand and water etc. Any black sand or say ocean sand can interfere, best to remove and clean bottom of coil and inside of coil cover. Be careful when you do, sometimes the cover could feel like it's glued on, because sand will kind of lock it in place. I did crack a coil cover one time in trying to hurry the removal. Don't need to clean it every time you go out detecting in general, unless I think you are detecting in or around a salt beach.

I also agree with others to not glue on your coil covers. If you are having issues with them coming off too easily, zip ties work really well. Then all you have to do is cut those off when you need to clean or change out your cover.

When ya get good... you won nee no stinkin coily covers.

:P

:)

Coil covers are like knee pads... training wheels.... floaties on your arms... :P
Hate em.
Only in bad real rocky area will i slap one on.

IF you wear that coil out and buy another... after that you will be better already just because you hated buying that new coil :)

Last edited:
IF you are looking to sell your detector... then coil cover it to protect it.
IF... you love your detector... but love not having to deal with cleaning coil covers and false signals.
Then keep it for certain times.
IF the ground your in is sand or very flat ground and you are good at your swings.... then ditch em
IF you like the way they look then put it on.
IF you like to have a few ounces lighter coil... take it off.
IF.... you hunt in water or wet sand... Ditch IT.
IF.,,,,, You hit the ground alot... keep it on.
IF...........................

When I worked in Minelab repair center we had coils come in that were cracked and they would have been covered under warranty, but by not using the coil covers the coils were not covered.

Don't glue the coil cover on, just leave it on and clean when needed.

If you clue it or silicone it on and you get a tiny hole in the seal, sand gets in there building up including black magnetic sand which will drive you nuts trying to figure out why your detector is unstable, especially in Fl which has a lot of it.

Last edited:
Sorry ARC, I cannot understand such a dislike for such a simple thing as a coil cover? O well...I usually always agree with you, HOWEVER, on this one thing? Hmmmm....... no matter, love ya.

Sorry ARC, I cannot understand such a dislike for such a simple thing as a coil cover? O well...I usually always agree with you, HOWEVER, on this one thing? Hmmmm....... no matter, love ya.
What ?
I dont have "such a dislike".... at all.

I just never have used them for any detector i have owned in EONS of detecting... nor has anyone i know used them.
In fact.... coil covers did not come with any detector i ever owned UNTIL i got the x2's.
Now.... When i got the X2's they came with them... and i first used them..... and then.... i did not... after realizing they were a real pain in the arse when it came to falsing.
I dont need it anyway... i dont hit my coil often... i take pride in that.
I am like a babe in the wood.

Last edited:
By majority of responses have decided to save the few bucks on glue and put it towards the battery fund. Thanks for replies all! cheers!:icon_thumleft:

By majority of responses have decided to save the few bucks on glue and put it towards the battery fund. Thanks for replies all! cheers!:icon_thumleft:
Well.... IF you can swing with care and precision... you will be ok.

And if not..... coils can be bought... and if it cant.... dont buy that particular detector.

When you live in an area that was ravaged by the Ice Age, you have to use a coil cover. There are rocks everywhere in my state. My town has roads with names like Rockland Road, Rocky Hill Road and so on for a reason! That's why we have endless miles of stone walls around here. Farmers have spent hundreds of years trying to get all the rocks out of the way so they can plow their fields!

Last edited:
When you live in an area that was ravaged by the Ice Age, you have to use a coil cover. There are rocks everywhere in my state. My town has roads with names like Rockland Road, Rocky Hill Road and so on for a reason! That's why we have endless miles of stone walls around here. Farmers have spend hundreds of years trying to get all the rocks out of the way so they can plow their fields!
Well yes... coil covers are a smart idea in severe rocky areas... that is why they made em !

In the early days of the White's didn't have a coil cover. So after wearing out the coil, we used an ice cream lid.
Then they came out with a fitted cover, used them ever since.
Never glued them, though we did use a thin bead of silicon caulking that was easily removed.
(Something to do with it slipping off)
If a person detects low to the soils, ground a cover is great at saving the coil.
I think it also works as a shock absorbing feature.

When you live in an area that was ravaged by the Ice Age, you have to use a coil cover. There are rocks everywhere in my state. My town has roads with names like Rockland Road, Rocky Hill Road and so on for a reason! That's why we have endless miles of stone walls around here. Farmers have spend hundreds of years trying to get all the rocks out of the way so they can plow their fields!
Yep, learned that lesson quite a few years ago, coils are not cheap and rocks are unforgiving. Really a bummer if you only have one machine your stuck sitting around wondering what you could be finding at that old long abandoned and forgotten placer mine site camp way up on a mountain side while waiting for replacement.

What ?
I dont have "such a dislike".... at all.

I just never have used them for any detector i have owned in EONS of detecting... nor has anyone i know used them.
In fact.... coil covers did not come with any detector i ever owned UNTIL i got the x2's.
Now.... When i got the X2's they came with them... and i first used them..... and then.... i did not... after realizing they were a real pain in the arse when it came to falsing.
I dont need it anyway... i dont hit my coil often... i take pride in that.
I am like a babe in the wood.
Everyone I hunt with uses them. Some people don't always keep the coil above the ground and the constant abrasion wears the coil case thin on bottom, when a tiny hole develops even though you may not see it, water gets in and if it's salt water the coil WILL die as it will corrode the copper coil windings. Don't know about other manufactures, but when we saw it under Minelab it voided the warranty and customer was responsible for the repair, labor and the new coil.

In the years in the repair center we got coils from Florida Beach hunters that were bad from not using coil covers. Your talking about a couple detectors you owned, I examined more than I can count, many were happy with the $300-$500 repair when a $20-$30 chill cover would have stopped the issue.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back