What's new

Coin and Button I think

Diggins

Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2006
Messages
48
Reaction score
11
Golden Thread
0
Location
Geneva, IL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hi everyone. A couple things have me and a couple friends stumped. One is a coin we think/hope is from either 1652 or 1657. It was found about 3' deep around downtown New Bern, NC. On one side it looks like that date and an arch of some kind. On the other side I can make out a VIII. Other than that I don't have a clue to what it is. Any help is appreciated!!!!!!

The second thing is a button of some sort. It was found near a river where there was a settlement from the 1700's and some ship Captain had a big house there. It looks like on the outside that someone took a hole punch or needle of some kind and poke the letters Liberty into it and then some kind of odd design, like the tall hats the redcoats use to wear???

Thanks for any help id'ing these finds.
 

Attachments

  • Picture 008.webp
    Picture 008.webp
    12 KB · Views: 355
  • Picture 011.webp
    Picture 011.webp
    13 KB · Views: 334
  • Picture 012.webp
    Picture 012.webp
    14.8 KB · Views: 339
  • Picture 004.webp
    Picture 004.webp
    16.4 KB · Views: 346
  • Picture 005.webp
    Picture 005.webp
    21.9 KB · Views: 358
  • Picture 006.webp
    Picture 006.webp
    22.2 KB · Views: 342
Top one looks like a clay or pla-doh impression.
Scott
 
Upvote 0
LOL it does, but when my friend dropped it on a glass table it's metal alright. (that and I could tell by the touch of it.)
 
Upvote 0
Daddytopcat said:
Top one looks like a clay or pla-doh impression.
Scott
??? ::)
 
Upvote 0
sounds about right 1650s on the spanish pirate loot :wink: The button looks like about 1810 -1830. (Maravedis)
1500's-1600's
 

Attachments

  • 750cas.webp
    750cas.webp
    46 KB · Views: 319
Upvote 0
A buddy took my camera on a hunt, but yes, I think the coin is copper. It looks smashed but when "new" it would have been a nickel to quarter size and about as thick.

I found this pic and it's got the "arch" and the roman numerals VIII like this coin. http://www.fuenterrebollo.com/faqs-numismatica/ima2/1619-8maravedis-madrid-felipe3-s23.jpg

and this link:
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...33&prev=/images?q=Maravedis+coin+8&hl=en&um=1

but the VIII on the links pic is on one side where as the one I posted it is on the opposite??
 
Upvote 0
Relicdude, that looks just like it "almost". in your pic, bottom row 4th coin in, that's it I am almost sure. Awesome!
 
Upvote 0
Thats as close as you may find .One thing about old spanish cobs is they were each hand made by someone with a hammer and a punch,and no 2 are the same.I would stay in that area for as long as you can ,could be more 1600s stuff around like silver / rings/gold ;D The pic i posted ,the top row is the front of the coin and the bottom row is the same coin back side.So that one has a date of 1652 on it!!!!!!
 
Upvote 0
Don't give up on that button and get some much better pictures. Anything with Liberty that's early like that is very interesting and a good find.

Looks like a bird, second picture, 9 o'clock.
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch, thanks, and yep now that I "pretty much" know what the coin is that button is driving me nuts. I'll try and get some better pics today.
 
Upvote 0
That button could be older 1700s .Clean it up a bit and take some better pictures.i see some kind of animal or bird also like ironpatch says...You have found a hot spot at that old pirate captains house :wink:
 
Upvote 0
RELICDUDE07 said:
That button could be older 1700s .Clean it up a bit and take some better pictures.i see some kind of animal or bird also like ironpatch says...You have found a hot spot at that old pirate captains house :wink:

Don't know if that will clean, or should be tried at this point, but I bet better lighting would help.
 
Upvote 0
They may have been trying to copy something like this :icon_scratch: or home made type
 

Attachments

  • RWb52ds_Liberty_tree_button_copy.webp
    RWb52ds_Liberty_tree_button_copy.webp
    41.5 KB · Views: 195
Upvote 0
RELICDUDE07 said:
They may have been trying to copy something like this :icon_scratch: or home made type

What's Don call that one? Patriotic? That's exactly what i was thinking, along that line.
 
Upvote 0
Your button appears to be a coin made into a button. One can see an eagle on one end of it. I see a pattern on it that appears to be cross hatching like a vise mark. Neat item.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom