Coin Books

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone! I was wondering if there recommended books out there for coin identification research. All types of coins. I have the 64th edition US Coins book, but I have found coins where I find myself clueless and coming to TNet to ask for ID help. I would like to try and ID them before jumping on here.

If there is also a great website, that would work also.

Thanks,
Matt

OP
OP
HunterMF

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Don,

I have issues taking pictures of what I see on certain coins. The place where I've been finding some dated coins, one was a 10 Reis from Portugal in which the US Coin book wouldn't have. Looking online for a coin (Google) that I have no idea where to start lookin is difficult and sometimes taking me down the wrong path.
I'll definitely invest in the newer edition of the book though!

Matt

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Again, I suggest you start here; there are some very good coin ID-ers on treasurenet.
And you'll find you wont be wasting time trying to ID the coin if you haven't a clue as to what it is.
Don.......

OP
OP
HunterMF

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appreciate that Don! I’ll get some pics and post to see if anyone has any ideas

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like "The Standard Catalog of World Coins" myself. I assume they still publish it, but, if not, you can sometimes find them used for a much more reasonable price. Depending on the country, some of the real old coins aren't listed. You'd probably have to get a book specific to that country.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like "The Standard Catalog of World Coins" myself. I assume they still publish it, but, if not, you can sometimes find them used for a much more reasonable price. Depending on the country, some of the real old coins aren't listed. You'd probably have to get a book specific to that country.

In addition to the standard Krause catalog, there is the standard catalog, 17th century edition 1601-1700 in the same (massive over 1100 page) format. But many are ditching a library full of phone book size reference books in favor of online IDs - as Don above suggests. Since many are downsizing from these huge books, there should be many available in like-new condition cheap.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Megalodon is right. I've donated to my local library all my large reference books except one; Rulau's 1200 page book on US Tokens.
If I can't find online a coin I'm looking for, I can always go to my reference books held in the library.
Don........

OP
OP
HunterMF

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the input. I have a used bookstore near me so I’ll go check that out. Really I just want the books just in case the internet fails at something. I already have a couple of button and colonial artifact books. Why not add to the collection! :laughing7:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My own county library has been overwhelmed with book donations. A volunteer "friends of the library" group ($10 annual membership) goes through donated books and has sales at least twice a year (last one was last weekend). They also have a permanent small shop inside the library where hardbacks are $2 and paperbacks are $1. I have my own reference library in my humidity controlled basement. Three of the four walls are covered with bookcases. I just checked and the two standard catalog references cited - take up 4.5 inches of shelf space. When we moved into this place, I donated about 20 boxes of books after giving the better ones to friends who had a used bookstore, in exchange for some store credit.

Another option to consider: For several decades when I was younger, I was a member of the ANA and used their library (Colorado Springs) by mail. It might be cheaper to buy more common books like the many Seaby books and shipwreck coins books at a library sale or request them from your librarian - who can get books from a consortium of libraries. ANA is best for uncommon publications by researchers publishing articles about coins and tokens in the primary literature, such as The Numismatist. When we moved, I threw away a couple of truck loads of photocopied publications into the county paper recycling. Thoreau said "We don't own our possessions - they own us".

Last edited:

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
HunterMF: Don is right, if you can't ID the coin on your own, post a pic HERE on TN, incl possibly weight, dimensions, etc. if it's a very strange coin. With all the experts out there, the answers will come quickly. Don has been most helpful in the past for me. The US Red Book (newest edition if possible) is the bible for me on US coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread