What's new

Coin Collecting through CRHing

MrBling

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2008
Messages
356
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250
Coin Collecting through CRH'ing

Has anyone attempted to get the entire series(excepting errors) of Lincolns, Jeffersons, Roosevelts, Washingtons, or Kennedys just through CRH'ing, pocket change, and metal detecting?
If so, how much success have you had, and how long have you been trying?
I understand one won't get the highest grades this way, but I thought that it would be a fun challenge to try to get a series without actually buying any coins
 
Upvote 0
Re: Coin Collecting through CRH'ing

I went through a box of nickels and it was fairly easy to fill up most or all of book 2 if you look for the dates and not too bad to get all or most of book 3. Book 1 is the hardest I've found, being that the coins are a lot older (obviously) than all the rest and are hard to find. I would definitely say that it is doable with nickels. As the matter of fact, I'm trying to do the same thing.
 
Re: Coin Collecting through CRH'ing

I am putting together a set of state quarters found MDing. I have 4 left to find. I started in May of 2006.
 
Re: Coin Collecting through CRH'ing

As far as what is possible to find.

There are two tracking lists that I have been maintaining for this forum. One for 2008 only and One that is 01-01-2006 until present.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,131939.0.html

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,144959.0.html

They should give you some idea what others have found over a large volume of coins all across the country.

Taking it to a personal level, in my lifetime I have found the following (almost all within the last 4 years) (note: varieties like small and large mintmark count in my totals but proofs do not count separate)
Indian head pennies = 9 of 58
wheat pennies = 120 of 142
memorial pennies = complete
V-Nickels = 8 of 34
Buffalo Nickels = 20 of 65
Jefferson Nickels = complete
Mercury Dimes = 15 of 81
Pre-1965 Roosevelt Dimes = 40 of 48
Pre-1965 Washington Quarters = 13 of 85
Walking Liberty Half Dollars = 9 of 68
Franklin Half Dollars = 17 of 35
Kennedy Half Dollars = complete
Eisenhower Dollars = 14 of 16

If it wasn't mentioned, it was either because I haven't found any of that series or completing the series is fairly easy.

Hope that helps
 
Re: Coin Collecting through CRH'ing

I have two holes to fill in my Franklin book from CRH, the dreaded '55 and '49S. All I lack in my Kennedy book is the '70S, 2008S (clad) and all but 3 of the newer silver proofs. Not bad for 14 monthes. I may get a Walker book as I have about 20 different ones for it. HH Mark
 
Re: Coin Collecting through CRH'ing

bens I have found all but the 55
My Dansco just needs a couple odd balls, Mostly silver proofs. Out of a 140 coins I still need just 27
Walkers is coming along nicely. if it was just the flip books, they would be full now.

Silver Rosie Dimes I just need 3 a 49 a 53 and a 62 Otherwise, all found CRH

For mercs out of I have found 51 out of 75

Nickles was completed in just a couple boxes.

Dont bother with CHR quarters, Suck a Wee Wee dollars or dead old white men dollars.
I already have all the cents one can have so no looking done there. I did pull some pre 82s till I had about 30 pounds worth to use as weight for dredging...it was cheaper than buying lead shot!
 
Re: Coin Collecting through CRH'ing

Thanks for the interesting information everybody
Based on the obvious successes you guys have had, I've decided to go for it!
I'll start with pennies and nickels and work my up from there
 
Re: Coin Collecting through CRH'ing

Pennies will be TOUGH if you start from book one, tougher than the nickels by a long shot, but just as fun and even more rewarding once you start knocking back the toughies.

I wish you luck!

~Dave
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom