Coin Counter Miscount?

denomi

Apr 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey y'all I was wondering how you handle it when the coin counter at the bank miscounts?

I take my coins to a bank that counts them in the back. The tellers are all super nice and understanding and never complain.

However, when I most recently brought in my coins, I'm pretty certain the machine gyped me $20ish dollars. I had bought a box of halves and two boxes of dimes. I took a few coins from each and the total came to $970-something. I mentioned I thought that might be incorrect and the old lady offered to send it back through, but considering it had taken like 30 minutes the first time I said it was fine...

How do you handle it when that happens?

Upvote 0
I dump in increments and try to dump only one denomination at a time. The coin counters at some of my banks have a printout of each denomination. If I'm dumping dimes and a bunch of pennies show up on the slip I politely say something about it. However, I don't make a big stink if only a few dimes get counted as pennies.

Something like that has happened to me before, or they'll hand me a couple pennies from the reject tray that I know I didn't put in... and I do separate them into denominations with tupperware... what would you consider an increment? I didn't think $1000 was a huge amount considering I read about people on here going through thousands and thousands a week, but I could be wrong.

Something like that has happened to me before, or they'll hand me a couple pennies from the reject tray that I know I didn't put in... and I do separate them into denominations with tupperware... what would you consider an increment? I didn't think $1000 was a huge amount considering I read about people on here going through thousands and thousands a week, but I could be wrong.

For me, I don't search a large volume like some. I dump about a half box at a time of whatever denomination I get that week.

Hey y'all I was wondering how you handle it when the coin counter at the bank miscounts?

I take my coins to a bank that counts them in the back. The tellers are all super nice and understanding and never complain.

However, when I most recently brought in my coins, I'm pretty certain the machine gyped me $20ish dollars. I had bought a box of halves and two boxes of dimes. I took a few coins from each and the total came to $970-something. I mentioned I thought that might be incorrect and the old lady offered to send it back through, but considering it had taken like 30 minutes the first time I said it was fine...

How do you handle it when that happens?

First it helps to always dump the same amount. That wont always help you but usually it will. Second, if you have the time, wait for the recount. $20 for 30 minutes is $40 an hour. I would have waited for the recount.

I had one incident that had a $1000 bag miscount, first time came up like $720 dollars, second came up $840 and third came up $869. I took the $869 it counted and waited for another recount from another place and told them to go ahead and credit me when they got it. Turned out their machine was giving wrong counts to everyone else in their favors so when it came to me, the machine was short, though I am not exactly sure how the halves would have been short since that is all I dumped. I just sucked up the $131 loss and went about my way. I have made way, way, way much more than that from CRH so its part of playing the game. You will make it up in the end.

Point of this is, if you can stay and allow a recount, do so, its worth your while.

I dumped in a coin machine at the local credit union exactly $200 in nickels. The machine registered $208.75 but it showed the denominations of pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters and halves! Not one thing was other than the nickels I dumped in the box. I went to the manager and said the machine is not correct, he said did it short you? I said no it overpaid and he said that's OK, just keep it. I said OK for me but your machine is not counting correctly, he said don't worry about it. so I said OK. Have not been back since.

I dumped in a coin machine at the local credit union exactly $200 in nickels. The machine registered $208.75 but it showed the denominations of pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters and halves! Not one thing was other than the nickels I dumped in the box. I went to the manager and said the machine is not correct, he said did it short you? I said no it overpaid and he said that's OK, just keep it. I said OK for me but your machine is not counting correctly, he said don't worry about it. so I said OK. Have not been back since.

Why not go back? They would just send out a service tech to fix it. They wont spend the time to re run for $8, they would just deal with it. All machines need some sort of calibration. That is why I try to go in with a specific amount so I know right away if I am short.

Shorts happen, it's a risk of the hobby. You have to decide whether or not you keep dumping there. If you fuss, it may risk your account or your ability to dump coin there.

The people dumping thousands have a system, either bags or reliable dump banks. They don't bring $10,000 to dump at one time at one bank through a coin counter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back