What's new

Coin found today

RJ55

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2014
Messages
1,453
Reaction score
1,188
Golden Thread
0
Location
western NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anyone know what this is? My brother found it today. No detail on either side - a little smaller than a dime. TIA RJ


INBOX31530f2071659a9dd642aa8aa68c29c3342b.webp
 
Upvote 4
Man, that's a tough one. Guess I would be tempted to soak that one either in hydrogen peroxide and/or mineral oil. It looks to be copper. Might be a token. Hope you can get some detail of some sort on it.
 
Thanks Old Dude
 
It might be a 1/2 real as they are smaller than a dime and often quite worn. Sometimes come out of the ground black. Does it sound like silver or copper when dropped on a hard surface? If silver, wet it and wrap in in aluminum foil a few times to clean it.
 
Looks to me like a dime "blank"... or a slug. IMO
 
It has a rim on it like a coin. I'll tell him to do the drop test. Thanks
 
Thinking about it if it has a rim, then it's probably not a worn 1/2 real as the rim would also be worn away. Clean it up and let's take a look :thumbsup:
 
Do I see letters at about 12-1 o-clock?

I think I see a "T"?
 
Soak that thing!!!!:icon_thumright:
 
Looks to me like a dime "blank"... or a slug. IMO

I agree with ARRC. I have found two copper penny blanks in circulation and they have the same looking rim before striking.
 
I think I see a bust (facing left) and several letters above it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom