What's new

COIN HELP PLEASE

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2009
Messages
1,909
Reaction score
785
Golden Thread
0
Location
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this today it's 13/16" or 2.1 cm and very thin. I see some thing on the side of the first pic I think, could just be my eyes.
Any thoughts appreciated. :icon_thumright:
Thanks, Broken Knee
 

Attachments

  • coin today 023.webp
    coin today 023.webp
    14.3 KB · Views: 371
  • coin today 020.webp
    coin today 020.webp
    21.4 KB · Views: 340
If you wash it with a toothbrush and some soap and water and can't see any detail when it is wet (try tilting it in the light), then there probably isn't much there. From the looks of it, there is patina there and not too much crusty crud so if you clean it with something that takes the patina off, you will have a shiny copper disk. :(

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
If you wash it with a toothbrush and some soap and water and can't see any detail when it is wet (try tilting it in the light), then there probably isn't much there. From the looks of it, there is patina there and not too much crusty crud so if you clean it with something that takes the patina off, you will have a shiny copper disk. :(

Daryl
Daryl I did use a tooth brush and no there isn't much there. I was hoping to get a possible id by the diameter as it's larger than a penny and smaller than a nickle. This maybe asking to much. :dontknow:
Broken Knee
 
Upvote 0
Broken knee said:
BioProfessor said:
If you wash it with a toothbrush and some soap and water and can't see any detail when it is wet (try tilting it in the light), then there probably isn't much there. From the looks of it, there is patina there and not too much crusty crud so if you clean it with something that takes the patina off, you will have a shiny copper disk. :(

Daryl
Daryl I did use a tooth brush and no there isn't much there. I was hoping to get a possible id by the diameter as it's larger than a penny and smaller than a nickle. This maybe asking to much. :dontknow:
Broken Knee

Your asking for a best guess, which can be narrowed by some detail but no detail is a blank.

Why worry what a blank might have been, I assume it won't be in the album collection :dontknow:

Just keep doing what you're doing which is finding great items in better condition. At best its an indication of other older stuff in the area. Stick it in the pile & look for a better one, or at least one with some detail :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
Try soaking it in some vinegar. I have had some crusty coins I've barely been able to identify and the vinegar does the job. If that doesn't work, try soaking it in Worchestershire sauce. This takes of crud from some coins too, especially nickles.
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
CRU, I'm not stressing over it. :icon_thumright:
Broken knee said:
BioProfessor said:
If you wash it with a toothbrush and some soap and water and can't see any detail when it is wet (try tilting it in the light), then there probably isn't much there. From the looks of it, there is patina there and not too much crusty crud so if you clean it with something that takes the patina off, you will have a shiny copper disk. :(

Daryl
Daryl I did use a tooth brush and no there isn't much there. I was hoping to get a possible id by the diameter as it's larger than a penny and smaller than a nickle. This maybe asking to much. :dontknow:
Broken Knee

Your asking for a best guess, which can be narrowed by some detail but no detail is a blank.

Why worry what a blank might have been, I assume it won't be in the album collection :dontknow:

Just keep doing what you're doing which is finding great items in better condition. At best its an indication of other older stuff in the area. Stick it in the pile & look for a better one, or at least one with some detail :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom