What's new

Coin I.D.? Ooops! Maybe not?

Monty

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
10,752
Reaction score
170
Golden Thread
0
Location
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Won this coin from a Tnet member's contest. He says he found it in his grandfather's old tool box. I cleaned it up and would like to find out what it is. It looks like silver but may be just nickel? Any help appreciated. I have been having a terrible time with my camera and think it may be on it's last leg. Monty
 

Attachments

  • Ice cycles and coin  Feb 2010 006.webp
    Ice cycles and coin Feb 2010 006.webp
    14.5 KB · Views: 456
  • Ice cycles and coin  Feb 2010 007.webp
    Ice cycles and coin Feb 2010 007.webp
    14.1 KB · Views: 483
Re: Coin I.D.?

1 cent Ethiopia, 1930ies or 40ies ! :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Coin I.D.?

Wow, that didn't take long! Thanks! Monty
 
Upvote 0
Re: Coin I.D.?

Monty said:
I have been having a terrible time with my camera and think it may be on it's last leg. Monty
Your pic is pretty good Monty. :icon_thumright: Better than a lot of others Ive seen here at TN. The only thing that may help is turn off the flash and take the pic outdoors.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Coin I.D.?

A similar coin was ID--ed online like this:
"This coin is indeed from Ethiopia. It is a "Cent", and is made of copper. Coins in the one cent to fifty cents denominations were struck at Philadelphia and the Royal Mint in London between 1944 and 1975 with the date EE1936 frozen.
The coin is a 1 Cent (Ano Santeem) from Ethiopia 1944. It was struck at Philadelfia and the Royal Mint in London between 1944 and 1975 with the date EE1936 (Etiophian Era) frozen. It«s a copper-coin.
If it is copper, then it is a 1 Cent from Ethiopia, catalogue Krause-Mishler 32"

The image is of Haile Selassie, emperor of Ethiopia (1930-74)
 
Upvote 0
Re: Coin I.D.?

Mackaydon said:
A similar coin was ID--ed online like this:
"This coin is indeed from Ethiopia. It is a "Cent", and is made of copper. Coins in the one cent to fifty cents denominations were struck at Philadelphia and the Royal Mint in London between 1944 and 1975 with the date EE1936 frozen.
The coin is a 1 Cent (Ano Santeem) from Ethiopia 1944. It was struck at Philadelfia and the Royal Mint in London between 1944 and 1975 with the date EE1936 (Etiophian Era) frozen. It«s a copper-coin.
If it is copper, then it is a 1 Cent from Ethiopia, catalogue Krause-Mishler 32"

The image is of Haile Selassie, emperor of Ethiopia (1930-74)

Jah Man
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jah
I saw Bob Marley play live :notworthy:

Mike
 
Upvote 0
Re: Coin I.D.?

If it is copper, it is nickel plated. It is bright silver colored. Maybe I green checked this one too soon? I have had this camera two years and lost the how to book. I can't figure out how to turn the flash off! I think Ethiopean is correct but I don't think it is a penny.Monty
 
Upvote 0
Let's see if I can make a fool of myself...
Here's my guess. If it's about the size of a quarter, it could be a 50c piece. If so, it IS silver and was minted about 1944. Ref. Krause #37.
 
Upvote 0
I believe we have it now. It is identical to the Ethiopian 50 cents and it is the size of a quarter. It looks clad though, two layers of silver with possibly copper between. Now I am satisfied it is the correct identity! Monty
 
Upvote 0
Mackaydon said:
Mike:
I hope you heard him play Red Red Wine.
Don...
Don, I was there.... I remember that much :occasion18:

Mike
 
Upvote 0
Who is Bob Marley? Did he play dead as well as alive? l'm confused.
M :dontknow: nty
 
Upvote 0
Monty said:
Who is Bob Marley? Did he play dead as well as alive? l'm confused.
M :dontknow: nty

You're right Monty :icon_thumright: UB40 released their version of Niel Diamonds 'red red wine' two years after Bob Marley died. It was a popular reggae song.

Green check in 1st (original post) please :D
 
Upvote 0
Ok, what is UB 40? Some kind of spray lubricant? M :icon_scratch: nty
 
Upvote 0
I knew that . Shucks, I was just funning you guys! :wink: My kids kept me abreast of the bands of the 80's, and my young in spirit wife still knows every one of them and the names of the individuals in them. Thanks and good hunting. M :headbang: nty
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom