What's new

Coin Id

timekiller

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
3,853
Reaction score
966
Golden Thread
1
Location
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this past week and has been bugging me.One of those just wanta' know things. :wink: I've looked quiet a few times now and can't find nothing.I would think the little star with three little circles might be away to Id but I'm out of plans so thought I'd runner through the wash over here.
Hint's :laughing7:
#1-it's early from this site
#2-one side I see II G * M
#3-Other side I see V D O
#4-I would think the whole coin would not be much over 20mm if at all.
Thanks For Your Help & Ideas!
Pete :hello:
Ip, put me on billon coins and so that may be a start.
The closes I've seen with my searching was some early German.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0240[1].webp
    IMG_0240[1].webp
    51 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_0243[1].webp
    IMG_0243[1].webp
    32.3 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_0244[1].webp
    IMG_0244[1].webp
    21.2 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_0244[1].webp
    IMG_0244[1].webp
    21.2 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_0243[1].webp
    IMG_0243[1].webp
    32.3 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_0241[1].webp
    IMG_0241[1].webp
    46.5 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_0240[1].webp
    IMG_0240[1].webp
    51 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_0243[1].webp
    IMG_0243[1].webp
    24.4 KB · Views: 379
Let's just call it Mass silver and be done with it. ;D
 
Upvote 0
steelheadwill said:
Nice little piece, Looks silver! Great find !
Yea there is silver in it for sure. :thumbsup:
Here's yesterdays finds different spot.The place I found the two seals last week,well found another yesterday,few buttons,pipe steam pieces,etc.Weird I went so long not finding a good looking seal now three in the last two hunt's.This place was strange as I would almost deside to leave then I'd see something that made me want to hang.
Take Care,
Pete :hello:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0260.webp
    IMG_0260.webp
    79.9 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_0261.webp
    IMG_0261.webp
    52.9 KB · Views: 269
Upvote 0
It took a long and painstaking search, but I think I can ID your sliver( and I didn't misspell that!). Here's the description posted on Ebay.

France Louis XIV 1692 H Silver 4 Sols (2 Deniers)

Attribution using The Krause Standard Catalog of World Coins

Catalog Reference: KM# 281.6

1.8090 g

.7980 Silver

.0464 oz. ASW

Diameter: 19.5 mm

And here are the pics. I took two different examples and tried to trim and position the clearest to emulate your pictures here.
I'm not an expert of pre-1700 coins, so I don't know how long this pattern was produced. Maybe someone else can jump in on that.
 

Attachments

  • denier1front.webp
    denier1front.webp
    122.8 KB · Views: 233
  • denier1back.webp
    denier1back.webp
    183.6 KB · Views: 231
Upvote 0
Fast_Dave said:
It took a long and painstaking search, but I think I can ID your sliver. here's the description posted on Ebay.

France Louis XIV 1692 H Silver 4 Sols (2 Deniers)

Attribution using The Krause Standard Catalog of World Coins

Catalog Reference: KM# 281.6

1.8090 g

.7980 Silver

.0464 oz. ASW

Diameter: 19.5 mm

And here are the pics. I took two different examples and tried to trim and position the clearest to emulate your pictures here.
I'm not an expert of pre-1700 coins, so I don't know how long this pattern was produced. Maybe someone else can jump in on that.
Dave Buddy I know you spent some time on this one and I sure do appreciate it.I just got home been gone since Friday working.And saw your post. I knew were it come from and all it would be a oldie just never have had my hands on one of that type to know.Mostly spanish & british or Irish for me.But I think you Nailed the ID.
Thanks Much & Take Care
Pete :hello:
 
Upvote 0
I'd say that's it. The type of coin posted dates from 1691-1700. It's funny, the reason I suggested it could be billon is because my gut was screaming French at me but I didn't take a look through them. The reason I thought French is because of how many different symbols they use on their coins, and to see one that looks like a sun is not a surprise because Louis XIV was known as the Sun King. Had this been for $10,000 I'd be kicking myself right now.... well no, I'd be 10k richer because I would have gone through every darn coin in my Krause. :laughing7: I've dug several different French silver or billon coins from that period but never that one, but lets just say it's still one that's very familiar to me... just not enough to see a small portion and recognize it I guess. :-\
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
I'd say that's it. The type of coin posted dates from 1691-1700. It's funny, the reason I suggested it could be billon is because my gut was screaming French at me but I didn't take a look through them. The reason I thought French is because of how many different symbols they use on their coins, and to see one that looks like a sun is not a surprise because Louis XIV was known as the Sun King. Had this been for $10,000 I'd be kicking myself right now.... well no, I'd be 10k richer because I would have gone through every darn coin in my Krause. :laughing7: I've dug several different French silver or billon coins from that period but never that one, but lets just say it's still one that's very familiar to me... just not enough to see a small portion and recognize it I guess. :-\
Yea you were in the ball park for sure. :thumbsup: It was bothering me at first as many thing I don't know right off do.But that quickly faded as there wasn't much left of it anyhow.I knew you could had if it came down to it.But I wasn't that worried about it once you didn't take much interest. :laughing7:
Take Care,
Pete
 
Upvote 0
Timekiller said:
Iron Patch said:
I'd say that's it. The type of coin posted dates from 1691-1700. It's funny, the reason I suggested it could be billon is because my gut was screaming French at me but I didn't take a look through them. The reason I thought French is because of how many different symbols they use on their coins, and to see one that looks like a sun is not a surprise because Louis XIV was known as the Sun King. Had this been for $10,000 I'd be kicking myself right now.... well no, I'd be 10k richer because I would have gone through every darn coin in my Krause. :laughing7: I've dug several different French silver or billon coins from that period but never that one, but lets just say it's still one that's very familiar to me... just not enough to see a small portion and recognize it I guess. :-\
Yea you were in the ball park for sure. :thumbsup: It was bothering me at first as many thing I don't know right off do.But that quickly faded as there wasn't much left of it anyhow.I knew you could had if it came down to it.But I wasn't that worried about it once you didn't take much interest. :laughing7:
Take Care,
Pete


I just figured it was going to be at least an hour search, maybe longer, and no guaranteed results.... so I was out! ;D I knew there was enough to ID, and the sun thing should have put me over the edge to take a quick look, but it didn't. One of those things that seems easy and makes sense after the fact.... but it don't matter now! :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
What really impressed me was how close you came on the diameter of the coin with so little to work with. Half a millimeter off? Wow!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom