Coin ID??

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
I dug an old copper coin (at least I think its old). It is about the size of a quarter and about 1/2 as thick. One side has a bust facing right (really worn but kind of looks like King George II). The other side has a shield with a coat of arms in it with a crown over it. There are letters on both sides of the coin but I can't make them out. This spot has produced many colonial coppers but I have not seen one like this. I'll try to add a picture If I can figure out how to do it.

Thanks,
Peanut

Attachments

• 100_0746.jpg
    100_0746.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 321

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Your find appears to be a copper/bronze or brass copy of a George III "spade" guinea, a type of British gold coin minted from 1787 to 1799. (See top photo below.) In addition to being heavily counterfeited, these coins were also imitated in the designs of numerous "game counters"— tokens which were used in much the same way that poker chips are used today. (See bottom photo below.) Given its condition, it's difficult to say whether yours is an actual counterfeit or a game counter.

Attachments

• Spade.jpg
    Spade.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 278
  • Counter.jpg
    Counter.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 288
  • Spade.jpg
    Spade.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 284
  • Counter.jpg
    Counter.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 284
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Brian in MA

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
PBK said:
Your find appears to be a copper/bronze or brass copy of a George III "spade" guinea, a type of British gold coin minted from 1787 to 1799. (See top photo below.) In addition to being heavily counterfeited, these coins were also imitated in the designs of numerous "game counters"— tokens which were used in much the same way that poker chips are used today. (See bottom photo below.) Given its condition, it's difficult to say whether yours is an actual counterfeit or a game counter.

Thanks for the quick ID. Whether it's counterfeit or a game piece when would it likely have been lost? Can I assume that the counterfeit George III's were made during the same years as the 'real' ones?

Thanks again....

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
peanut695 said:
Thanks for the quick ID. Whether it's counterfeit or a game piece when would it likely have been lost? Can I assume that the counterfeit George III's were made during the same years as the 'real' ones?

Counterfeits would have been contemporary, of course.

Game counters, as Dugupfinds notes, would have been struck in the 1800's; however, many bear 18th century dates, both before and after the actual date range of spade guineas.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread