coin laundry finds for march... so far...

memphis

Dec 17, 2005
Memphis
Here's my current baggie of coins found at the laundry -- most inside the machines -- where only I could get them... some in vending machine / vending change...

Nickels:
1959d
1961d
1946 beat to hell with little v shaped chips
1964d
1964d
1961d
1953d
1962d
1963d
1964d
1957d
1964d
1964d
1948d
1964d
1963d
1937 buffalo
?buffalo

dimes:
1944 mercury

Quarters:
1959d
1958d

Pennies:
1944s
1952d

Attachments

• MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 702
  • MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 707
  • MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 695
  • MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-006S.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 691
Upvote 0
OP
OP
memphis

memphis

Dec 17, 2005
Memphis
Copperhead said:
You'd think they'd be a little cleaner, coming out of a washing machine.....

Nice finds.
No, these are out of dryers and vending machines -- the ones that come out of the washers are filthy, nasty, soap encrusted, stuck together - vile stuff -- I'm talking commercial washers for clothes - the jumbos and triples, the frontloaders -- there's all kinds of filthy stuff in there - I've got buckets of coins from those that I've yet to find a way to clean it enough to run thru coinstar...

in washers, I find brawires, mangled coins, razor blades, rusty screws and nails, all kinds of yucky crap

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Memphis,
What a cool (and informative) post. That is fantastic!
-MM-

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Memphis! :) Great to see you posting! Still getting those great coins!

Congrats! Nana :)

OP
OP
memphis

memphis

Dec 17, 2005
Memphis
Copperhead said:
Hey memphis, just making a little joke... But it's funnier that the ones that come out of the washing machines are the dirtiest...

very true --- i'll photograph one of my buckets of washer coins for y'all -- sell it to the highest bidder or some such -- probably $300 worth of coins for cleaning -- would trade the uncleaned bucket for camera stuff or a better detector -- have the piece of junk radio shack detector that's only good for about 6"

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
Should make that offer in the "Trades" forum:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?board=288.0

Personally, I've got a love/hate relationship with commerical dryer's. I love all the coinage that mysteriously ends up inside the back of them. But, I hate that it eats one of my socks.

F.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
memphis said:
Here's my current baggie of coins found at the laundry -- most inside the machines -- where only I could get them... some in vending machine / vending change...

Do you own the laundromat? I would think coins like this would be taken by the owners rolled up and exchanged for market value rather than face...if they knew what they were looking for. People that own businesses will do absolutely anything to increase that bottom line. I once watched a store owner get really peaved at grandpa for getting a merc in change at the cash register. The owner gave it to him and realized as soon as he set it down in grandpas hand and went ballistic. He threw us out of the store because gpa wouldn't give it back.

OP
OP
memphis

memphis

Dec 17, 2005
Memphis
Skrimpy said:
memphis said:

Do you own the laundromat? I would think coins like this would be taken by the owners rolled up and exchanged for market value rather than face...if they knew what they were looking for. People that own businesses will do absolutely anything to increase that bottom line. I once watched a store owner get really peaved at grandpa for getting a merc in change at the cash register. The owner gave it to him and realized as soon as he set it down in grandpas hand and went ballistic. He threw us out of the store because gpa wouldn't give it back.

my brother owns the laundry

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
memphis said:
No, these are out of dryers and vending machines -- the ones that come out of the washers are filthy, nasty, soap encrusted, stuck together - vile stuff -- I'm talking commercial washers for clothes - the jumbos and triples, the frontloaders -- there's all kinds of filthy stuff in there - I've got buckets of coins from those that I've yet to find a way to clean it enough to run thru coinstar...
in washers, I find brawires, mangled coins, razor blades, rusty screws and nails, all kinds of yucky crap

Let em soak in hot water, or put em in a strainer and let the water run over them for a while...if you don't have or have a constant water bill. If there is detergent on them when you dissolve and wash it away it should take most of the dirt and grime away with it...remember highschool chemistry? Like dissolves like. That's why soap is used to get rid of dirt. The dirt prefers the soap to the water and sticks to it, so when the soap gets washed away it takes the dirt with it.

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Take a wooden paint stirring stick with you to the laundry. It is amazing how many quarters you can scrape out from under the machines.

Good luck! HLH (Happy Laumdry Hunting)

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It amazes me that there is still some silver in circulation and people don't even know what they have in there hand. I look at all the change I spend or recieve as change back.
You would think that the buffalo nickles would have caught someones eyes.
Happy vending hunting. Maybe I should own a laundry mat too.
Good finds keep on a sortin.

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
O.K., maybe this is a dumb question to ask but I don't know much about coins so I will. Are all nickels from the list of your coins silver? For example, I think I saw that you had 1941 on there, does that mean that every nickel made in 1941 is silver? I don't ever look at nickels, a silver dime will catch my eye but nickels just look the same.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Wasabi said:
It amazes me that there is still some silver in circulation and people don't even know what they have in there hand. I look at all the change I spend or recieve as change back.
You would think that the buffalo nickles would have caught someones eyes.
Happy vending hunting. Maybe I should own a laundry mat too.
Good finds keep on a sortin.

The way I see it is that the people spending it have to know that it looks "different" whether or not they know what it is, but if they get one or two in change but care nothing about collecting coins will turn around and say "this is worth more TO ME in the vending machine", rather than spend an afternoon trying to find someone that will give them 2-4X face value for a nickel, dime, or quarter. It is a waste of time to them when that cookie looks so good to them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread