Coin Or Token?

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE
I dug this item from about 4 inches a couple of months ago in a local park and was wondering if anyone knows what it is. It rang in on my Garrett GTI 2500 with a quarter signal but when I pulled it from the ground I thought maybe it was a trade token of some sort. It appears to be quite old judging by shape, off center stamping and wear. Looks to be copper but not certain. Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
nedigger

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE
Well folks, I believe I have solved the mystery of what this is. If I am right it is a bronze follis with a portrait of Christ on the obverse and the reverse inscription translates to Jesus Christ King Of Kings. It is from the Byzantine era and is around 1000 years old (give or take). I edited together a photo from the net with mine for comparison. Tell me if you agree.

Upvote 0

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama
Although the front is very hard to see the back seems to cinch your conclusion.How did it get lost in a U.S. park is something to ponder.

Great find and good research.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
nedigger

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE
Thank you downindixie.Ican't tell you how many hours I have sat and stared at this coin hoping to make out some detail that would lead to it's identification. I was almost convinced that it was a religious token of some sort until yesterday I did a google search on ancient coins and clicked on a website that deals in ancient coins where I saw a one that was strikingly similar to mine. As soon as I seen it I was all but sure that it was the same as mine. With a little more searching I found 4 photos of similar coins. Here are the other three: Also here is an interesting page about ancient coins found in America that should help explain how it got here. HH to all.

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the mid 80's i used to detect a park in Garden Grove Calif-OC as in tv show. I kept finding roman coins,byzantine,every kinda oriental coins,spanish,portagese,and then it dawned on me some little monster was raiding his dads coin collection and chucking the junk in the field because it wasn't useable!! Junk my anas I made a fortune and advertised for months trying to find the Pop who was getting ripped,but alas to no avail.Helped pay for chemo but sure wouldn't have wanted to be that kid when his pops found out whatzup!!!Tons a au 2 u 2-John :o ;D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
nedigger

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE
Sounds like you had a field day finding all those coins. The only coins I've found in quantity are clad. I need some little booger to raid his dad's collection and toss them in a park I hunt. The thought crossed my mind that it is a fairly recently lost coin since I found it at about 4 inches but this coin has a hard encrustation that soaking in distilled water and a toothbrush is barely making a dent in. Although I know there are other ways of cleaning such as electrolysis, chemicals and such I would rather remove it slowly than take a chance of ruining it. When cleaning is done I may repost it to show more detail. Either way I have to say this is the oldest coin I have ever found. HH.

Upvote 0

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Cool find-- and way to go, Nedigger, for success in research! Thanks for following up with pictures of similar stuff.

Upvote 0

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's just awesome!! If I can find my post on a safe cleaning method, I will post it. I know it works on Roman coins, because I cleaned some I bought off of ebay from a hoard. It worked quite well and can be repeated as many times as you want until you get the level of cleaning you desire.
CS 8)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread