Coin Purse Found With Big Silver

ron_c

Mar 13, 2009
Noth Central Texas
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Pro XL, G2, Compass Coin Scanner Pro, Garrett BFO Discriminator, Garrett Pro Pointer,White's TRX PP, XP Gold Maxx Power, White's IDX Pro, Omega, Tesoro Vaquero
There is a house next door that is being repaired from a burst pipe and water damage. In the driveway is one of the big containers for the damaged wood, drywall, etc. Yesterday morning around 6AM as I was leaving to go MD, I noticed a couple of people dumping some things by the container. When they saw me they left in a hurry. One of the things was a small table and I went to check it out but it was burned as well as the others things they had dumped. One of the things I notice was a charred purse. I opened it but it was empty, until I saw a zipper inside. When I unzipped it that's when I saw the coin purse. I knew something was inside the coin purse because of the weight. I went back inside the house to open it, thinking all the time "Please let it be gold coins. Please let it be gold coins", but no gold coins. However this is what I found:

1 - 1883 Morgan
1 - 1922 Peace
1 - 1907 Barber Half
1 - 1939D Half
1 - 1944S Half
1 - 1945S Half
1 - 1913 Type I Buffalo
1 - 1935D Buffalo
1 - 1936D Buffalo
1 - 1937D Buffalo
Coins.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ron_c

ron_c

Mar 13, 2009
Noth Central Texas
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Pro XL, G2, Compass Coin Scanner Pro, Garrett BFO Discriminator, Garrett Pro Pointer,White's TRX PP, XP Gold Maxx Power, White's IDX Pro, Omega, Tesoro Vaquero
When I first found this I figured it would be nothing more than modern pennies, dimes and nickels. What a surprise. The coin purse was a type that was a flexible, rubbery type material that was oval shaped and had an opening down the middle. You pressed the ends and the center would open. When I tried this it started falling apart in my hands either dry rot or damage from the fire. As a matter of fact, if you look at the 1937 Buffalo, the stain that shows is where this nickel was stuck to the inside of the coin purse.

The Buffalo nickels are all plain, no mintmarks, I got carried away with my description when typing. Also the '44 and '45 Halves, these had been cleaned at one point. They are bright and shinny not like the other Halves.

I have also included the Reverse of the 1913 Buffalo for those who ask about it.

Thanks,

Attachments

• Buffalo.jpg
    Buffalo.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,017

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice save Ron.....Like someone
mentioned, those coins could have
ended up in the landfill if you hadn't
been watchful. Gold Nuggets :hello:

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Thats an awesome find! and are'nt the 36 and 37 D nickles the 3 and 3 1/2 legged ones worth oodles of bucks??????????? better get it checked my friend!!!!!!!!!!!

Slipperyjack47

L

LandStar

You said the stuff was burnt? Maybe they hadd a fire and were looking for a cheap way to get rid of the "the junk"...Bet they had no clue what they were throwing away...great catch!!!

HH,

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to mention it was a type one but you beat me to it

myfantasia1

Oct 3, 2008
Colorado, Denver
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, and now AP Pro. and AP Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
spartacus53 said:
It is amazing that those people actually tossed money out without realizing it. Good for you on that recovery :headbang:

That is what I was thinking. Didn't they think of checking out the purse? Oh well good for you :laughing7:

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice save... some times the best stuff comes from the trash...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread