Coin Roll Hunting

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Did a little coin roll hunting yesterday evening and produced a couple things. Off of 5 dime rolls I got a couple Rosies, but then I got this 2000 "P" dime and noticed something strange with it. It seems the the rim was out of line during the minting of the coin. Would appreciate anyone's input on it. Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC01889.JPG
    DSC01889.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 686
Upvote 0

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
i dont know how rare they are i think there somewhat common i have a few myself. willy.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
I've seen a lot like that and just spend them, they are pretty common. If you look carefully, it's hard to find a Lincoln cent that perfectly-struck. Many are off like that. Nice silver finds, though!

Joe

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
I'm not totally sure, but it looks like a mis-aligned obverse die to me ~ a.k.a. MAD (Mis-Aligned Die). You'd have to post pic's of the reverse and the edge for me to be for sure. The obverse appears to be "off center" while the reverse is normal, plus the edge reeding is normal too. In most instances the obverse die is the hammer die (or working die) and the reverse die is the anvil die. It is common for the obverse die to work loose and it won't line up with the reverse die perfectly ~ this makes the obverse of the coin look "off center" while the reverse looks normal.

A true off center struck error coin will have been struck "out of collar" so there will not be any reeding on the edge, and the reverse will look the same amount "off center" as the obverse.

Mis-aligned die is a DIE ERROR. Off center is a STRIKING ERROR.

Here's the address to my error coin web page:

http://community.webtv.net/oddcoins/NeilMcElroyspagefor

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread