What's new

Coin Roll Wrapper...maybe beating a dead horse.

  • Thread starter Thread starter CP
  • Start date Start date

CP

Full Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2009
Messages
107
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Traverse City, MI
So neither of the two banks in my city, one of which I have been a member of, will allow me to use the coin roll counters to turn in coins for free. They are charging a 3% fee, even my own bank. So what should I do to keep costs down?

What is the cheapest, fastest way to roll my coins, and still be able to turn them back in? I want to use the original $500.00 boxes that my halves came in.
 
Upvote 0
Cheapest, easiest way is use a paper clip. The rounded end when worked around the edge of the crimp will unroll the crimp. Push coins out the bottom; search; slide them back in the roll; fold down the opened crimp end.
 
Great, Need to try that. So if I refill the boxes to return, are they generally just accepted at a dump bag no questions asked?
 
CP: you have to test the water first, ask which way do they prefer. You can get unused FLAT WRAP rolls for halves at most banks. Roll them yourself.
 
I personally would tell them I'm transferring my money to a bank that will let me use the machine!
 
Agreed. Can’t understand your own bank charging you a fee for this, other than to discourage you from doing business there...
 
Agreed. Can’t understand your own bank charging you a fee for this, other than to discourage you from doing business there...

Diver_Down’s advice is good. I use a small flat head screwdriver instead of the paper clip and I always mark the wrapper with a Sharpie in case the bank or coin processing center tries to recycle my returned rolls as is. It has saved me from re-searching my coins on a couple of occasions. :BangHead:
 
Do they charge the fee even if you are making a deposit of the proceeds? If so, I'd also find another bank. CRH'ers often have accounts at several banks, btw.
 
I once opened an account at a local bank, receiving a free $50 no fee checking account, using my father’s referral.
Within six months time with no activity, my account balance was zero.
Greedy banks and their fees, they all have them and it’s difficult to work around.
Been five years now, don’t miss ‘em and never going back.
 
Is it safe to assume you are not returning to the same bank you got the box from?
I unbox the rolls, use a razor knife and cut off the top of the roll smoothly. Slide the coins out, inspect and slide them less any silver back into the same roll. Add replacement non silver coin and put it back into the box. The tellers have told me they have to unroll each roll and put them into a bag anyway that then gets shipped out. I have asked it I could help them by putting them into a bag for them but they all say no, they have to do it. They have said it is so much easier for them to slide the coins out of the wrapper and into the bag the way i cut off the top.
Been doing it this way for at least 6 years.
 
Great info on the paper clip
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom