What's new

Coin?

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2009
Messages
2,382
Reaction score
100
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
Is this a coin? :'(
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0643.webp
    IMG_0643.webp
    30.7 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_0644.webp
    IMG_0644.webp
    19 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_0645.webp
    IMG_0645.webp
    9.3 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_0647.webp
    IMG_0647.webp
    13.3 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_0648.webp
    IMG_0648.webp
    25.5 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_0664.webp
    IMG_0664.webp
    25.8 KB · Views: 277
Looks like you found an old copper. Could be a King George. No detail at all?

Brian
 
Upvote 0
No just smooth, found another also, but much larger. I also posted it.
 
Upvote 0
Garibaldi, your first scan seems to be the only one of that side? It is too dark to look for traces of a shank and be sure.
 
Upvote 0
Hard to say for sure, usually when bent like that is a large late 1700s button and not a copper coin. Cleaning all the crud off might reveal some detail, nothing to lose on a piece like that. More crud removal might show where a shank might have been, or might show that it is a copper coin........ :dontknow:

Don
 
Upvote 0
Posted a new image of the side that was dark.
 
Upvote 0
As Don mentioned, there is a lot of diret and corrosion on that piece. Still if you look close I think you'll see a spot in the center (shaped like s. america0 which was where the shank was attached.
 
Upvote 0
Ok, I posted another image of a small indent. Do you think this is where the shank was attached? :dontknow:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0665.webp
    IMG_0665.webp
    29.9 KB · Views: 255
Upvote 0
No. It is in the center of the other side, (look closely. hard to see)
 
Upvote 0
I see it now and took another image.
In the middle of the image I see where there is a circle. I agree, button. :icon_thumleft:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0666.webp
    IMG_0666.webp
    28.7 KB · Views: 235
Upvote 0
Don in SJ said:
Hard to say for sure, usually when bent like that is a large late 1700s button and not a copper coin. Cleaning all the crud off might reveal some detail, nothing to lose on a piece like that. More crud removal might show where a shank might have been, or might show that it is a copper coin........ :dontknow:

Don

Usually, but not always. Some of the thin counterfeits I have found are bent like that. It looks like you have found the shank on yours, so it does appear to be a button.
 
Upvote 0
Don in SJ said:
Hard to say for sure, usually when bent like that is a large late 1700s button and not a copper coin. Cleaning all the crud off might reveal some detail, nothing to lose on a piece like that. More crud removal might show where a shank might have been, or might show that it is a copper coin........ :dontknow:

Don
I agree with Don... Possibly a "Dandy" button
 
Upvote 0
I see a smiley face. Of course I'm just kidding. But keep looking at that sucker and you'll see all kinds of stuff....It's called "Matrixing"
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0666.webp
    IMG_0666.webp
    22.9 KB · Views: 205
Upvote 0
4-H, don't eat the brown acid. :tongue3:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom