What's new

Coins but no cache MD settings help

Hipster

Tenderfoot
Joined
May 13, 2020
Messages
4
Reaction score
10
Golden Thread
0
Location
New York
Detector(s) used
White’s Quantum XT (broken) Whites VX3 (sold) Minelab Equinox900
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The story is; 2 world war 2 ammo cans of silver were buried in a 20’x30’ area. I found a 2 cent piece and some other silver coins. But I’m not looking for them, and they were outside the garden sized area I was asked to search. I came across some -4 -9 low pitched sounds, deep, is that what I’m searching for? (Low burping sounds?) What do I set my machine to, to find ammo cans? Maybe the cans have rotted away what does a cache of silver come up as? Will it sound like a single coin? I am using an Equinox 900. I was using Park 1 updated factory settings.
 
The story is; 2 world war 2 ammo cans of silver were buried in a 20’x30’ area. I found a 2 cent piece and some other silver coins. But I’m not looking for them, and they were outside the garden sized area I was asked to search. I came across some -4 -9 low pitched sounds, deep, is that what I’m searching for? (Low burping sounds?) What do I set my machine to, to find ammo cans? Maybe the cans have rotted away what does a cache of silver come up as? Will it sound like a single coin? I am using an Equinox 900. I was using Park 1 updated factory settings.
Ammo cans that were buried post WWll will still be intact.
It's a large mass so if in range of the Equinox 900 it should detect it.
Use 0 discrimination, the higher sensitivity.
Use the "Field Mode" wide open.

Don't worry about if it sounds like silver as the mass could be masked by the container.

Best suggestion is dig every target.
20'x30' isn't a big area of detecting.
 
Ammo cans that were buried post WWll will still be intact.
It's a large mass so if in range of the Equinox 900 it should detect it.
Use 0 discrimination, the higher sensitivity.
Use the "Field Mode" wide open.

Don't worry about if it sounds like silver as the mass could be masked by the container.

Best suggestion is dig every target.
20'x30' isn't a big area of detecting.
0 discrimination and field mode thank you pepperj
 
Ammo cans that were buried post WWll will still be intact.
It's a large mass so if in range of the Equinox 900 it should detect it.
Use 0 discrimination, the higher sensitivity.
Use the "Field Mode" wide open.

Don't worry about if it sounds like silver as the mass could be masked by the container.

Best suggestion is dig every target.
20'x30' isn't a big area of detecting.
So if the can may be still intact then the deep -4 -9 iron sound I heard, may have been one can all along. I was listening for coin and subconsciously ignored it. Duh! Thanks for the clarity pepperj
 
So if the can may be still intact then the deep -4 -9 iron sound I heard, may have been one can all along. I was listening for coin and subconsciously ignored it. Duh! Thanks for the clarity pepperj
The machine has a pinpoint mode.
The iron signal should have a large footprint where a nail or similar sized would be small.
 
So if the can may be still intact then the deep -4 -9 iron sound I heard, may have been one can all along. I was listening for coin and subconsciously ignored it. Duh! Thanks for the clarity pepperj
Like pepperj said the ammo cans will be still intact. Not only intact but they will at the most just have mini craters onto their surface, but definitely no holes. Ammunition boxes, etc are quite thick. I was looking at 1 on sale at a machinery store 2 weeks ago. They are thick! The older WW2 ones will also be sufficiently thick.at least 1 mm to 1.2 mm Minimum. That will last for way more than 80 years in the ground in almost any soil acidity.
If it was me, I would presume the contents were first wrapped in something else. Or the cans had some stones/ plates put on top. At least 1 stone plate on top of each. I wouldn't even look for Ag signal as the predominant signal! In fact I wouldn't even look for Ag signal as there is plenty Silver rich stones and sands in the ground. Try with Gold but dull more suppressed signal. Gold from the landmasses would more easily reverberate against a steel container than any Silver from the landmasses would!
See if you can detect BRIEF Nickel or Manganese or Tungsten signal that is not too close to your detectors Silver range..... if that is possible.
Zinc maybe although by the time Zinc emanation travels to the surface it is absorbed by the natural Zinc in the soil/stones.
Think of what the containers paint must have contained: Aluminium compounds, Lead compounds, maybe Manganese?
 
Last edited:
Hipster GOOD LUCK and please keep us posted as to your searching :)
 
Search in "all metal". The cans are steel and will shield the coins.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom