Coins from france

dansoy23

Jul 28, 2023
Hi guys, does anyone knows what kind of coin this might be, I've got this from my aunt from france with the other coins, but this what caught me a surprise, cause it was covered with a cloth.
IMG_20231213_094749.jpg
IMG_20231213_094518.jpg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

It appears to me to be cast (not struck) in base metal with a gold wash/plate that has begun to wear through. The details on the obverse portrait that resembles either a Roman Empress or Greek Goddess seem to be distinctly modernised.

I would think it to be a modern fantasy based on a provincial Greek or Roman-Greek Empire ancient coin having a stylised 'ear of barley' reverse. I only looked briefly, but couldn't find a match to anything on which it might be loosely based.

OP
OP
D

dansoy23

Jul 28, 2023
Welcome to Tnet.

It appears to me to be cast (not struck) in base metal with a gold wash/plate that has begun to wear through. The details on the obverse portrait that resembles either a Roman Empress or Greek Goddess seem to be distinctly modernised.

I would think it to be a modern fantasy based on a provincial Greek or Roman-Greek Empire ancient coin having a stylised 'ear of barley' reverse. I only looked briefly, but couldn't find a match to anything on which it might be loosely based.
Thank you, i really appreciate your help.
I also brought it to gold smith and the result is silver on that inside part.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Whether or not it's a coin, the object depicts the Greek Goddess, Demeter, from the area of Lucania Metapontum (META on the 'coin'). If a coin, if was minted ~330-280 BC.
Adding: The coins of Metapontum in Lucania are some of the most instantly recognisable from the ancient world. This particular city owed most of its vast wealth to the abundance of barley it was able to produce in its fertile land. The inhabitants chose to adorn their coins with a large grain-ear, either as a reference to their wealth, or an etymological link (as Monterio suggests) to the Greek word for the autumn harvest, metoporinos, which would have seen the gathering of the city’s grain crop. (Source: https://www.baldwin.co.uk/news/the-barley-coins-from-metapontum)
Don in SoCal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread