What's new

Coinshooting gone awry

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
Joined
May 14, 2015
Messages
2,521
Reaction score
2,238
Golden Thread
0
Location
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
So I went out coinshooting at a house site that had been built in 1910. The house itself had been moved a few years ago and I'm pretty sure that there was a house there before the 1910 house. Didn't find any old coins, but found the stuff below. First rosette and first buckle. I will posting in the wazit thread next cause I'd like to know more about the buckle and I have no idea what the third item is.

20150816 Bridle Rosette obv1.webp20150816 Bridle Rosette obv2.webp20150816 finds.webp20150816 whatzit obv.webp20150816 whatzit rev.webp
 
Upvote 26
Nice finds, guy. I'm stumped by the US medallion.
 
Nice relic finds! Congrats!
 
The back of the third item has a pattern I have seen on a brass piece I found.

pattern.webp
 
Now if we only knew what it was....
 
Nice finds :thumbsup:. The US item is interesting. At first sight it had me thinking CW Breastplate, but I don't think ive ever seen a US Breastplate. The more common one is the eagle design. Im thinking WW1/2 era. Maybe something that came off of some sort of leather gear. Do you have a picture of the reverse and measurements?
What machine did you find it with? How are you liking that Tejon?
I hear the Tejon is a very good and DEEP Relic machine, I only ask because I have a CW huntin buddy who wants to buy one.
 
Last edited:
Now if we only knew what it was....

Okay so I was able to identify my own piece, and in doing so I learned that the pattern was pretty popular on, at the very minimum, pocket watches and lockets. The earliest dated item I found the pattern on was 1885, and the latest was 1913. If that time period is correct, it should help to date your piece.

brasslocket2.webp

Your piece looks like it was definitely attached to something on the back. Can you get some more light on it and take some more pictures? That would help out. Also, do the same for the front if possible -- as it stands, I can't tell if there is a pattern on the front between the raised lines.
 
Nice finds :thumbsup:. The US item is interesting. At first sight it had me thinking CW Breastplate, but I don't think ive ever seen a US Breastplate. The more common one is the eagle design. Im thinking WW1/2 era. Maybe something that came off of some sort of leather gear. Do you have a picture of the reverse and measurements?
What machine did you find it with? How are you liking that Tejon?
I hear the Tejon is a very good and DEEP Relic machine, I only ask because I have a CW huntin buddy who wants to buy one.

I've been told that this is a bridle rosette. I found it with my F75 because we were coinshooting. It was about a foot deep. I've only taken the Tejon out twice so far, but I really like it. It's just going to take some time to learn. After much research, I bought it to be my relic machine.

Your piece looks like it was definitely attached to something on the back. Can you get some more light on it and take some more pictures? That would help out. Also, do the same for the front if possible -- as it stands, I can't tell if there is a pattern on the front between the raised lines.

The design does not seem to be on the front. The lines of the front design are raised.
 
DIAL 777 NICE FINDS.... NEAT......
 
Very nice Finds .

BTW What does the back side of the Rosette look like ? Lead Filled?
 
The button looks more like a cufflink to me. The "US" Rosette is quite a nice find.
 
Very nice Finds .

BTW What does the back side of the Rosette look like ? Lead Filled?

The back looks like a bunch of rust. I decided not to try to clean it because I was scared I might break something.
 
There are a couple of different lettering styles on the WW1 & WW2 rosettes. I found one from WW1 a few years back, & the U.S. is a little more block lettering style. Just the same as the buttons, there are subtle little differences.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom