DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to the bank to put about $30 worth of dimes in the coinstar machine. I dumped the dimes in the tray and pushed the start button. I heard a coin fall into the reject tray and it sounded like it hit another coin. I bent down and saw it was full of coins. I looked around to see if anyone might have just walked away but I was the only customer in the bank. I started scooping them out and putting them in the top and when it finished I had $10.85 extra. I just don't understand how someone would/could walk away like that and leave that much money behind. Does anyone have a clue how that could happen? I did notice that when it was finished counting my change and it was printing out my receipt it started making another noise inside it and then 4 nickels fell into the reject tray. One was a Canadian and the other three were a little bent.

DANGLANGLEY

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Strange......But your lucky day. Time to go out and by some local kids some gum :)

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Not the first time I've heard of that. I bought 125 silver roosies that an older gentleman found in a coinstar machine. He couldn't believe it and knew I collected silver.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday at the supermarket I saw a Coinstar machine. I decided to walk by and see if there was anything, everybody seems to write how they find things in the reject tray. It's true, people do leave coins there. I found a Canadian dime, some kind of Euro coin, and some other foreign coins and game tokens. FREE MONEY

I also looked down in the spot where trash falls down. There was a gold chain in there that was not possible to get out. The owner of that machine must be happy with all the extra goodies....

izzitcat

May 13, 2008
Louisville,Ky.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger/White's Classic5ID
Coinstars are gold mines! Every time I go in Kroger I embarrass my wife by taking a look. The other day after a mding outing I stcopped by Kroger to get some milk and walked by the coinstar and ON TOP was a clad quarter a messed up penny and unbelievably a 1941 perfect merc dime! Can't find'm mding cause' they're laying around Kroger. I find a lot of wheats this way!

Roothawg

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Hey, dude, congrats. A couple of years ago I went to the Coinstar and found a merc dime in the coin return!

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
jpotter said:
Yesterday at the supermarket I saw a Coinstar machine. I decided to walk by and see if there was anything, everybody seems to write how they find things in the reject tray. It's true, people do leave coins there. I found a Canadian dime, some kind of Euro coin, and some other foreign coins and game tokens. FREE MONEY

I also looked down in the spot where trash falls down. There was a gold chain in there that was not possible to get out. The owner of that machine must be happy with all the extra goodies....
Keep a pencil and a pack of gum in your car in case this happens again. The Coinstar machines where I live have pretty good-sized holes in their dump trays, large enough for everything except dimes to fall through, and I've snagged a couple of nice finds with a bit of gum stuck onto a pencil. :thumbsup:

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
I thought those machines took all coins, I didn't know it was capable of rejecting them. Awesome find!

Mr_Mojo_Risin

Apr 29, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I have more than thrice scored moula in the "reject tray" of the Coinstar machine at a local grocery store. One day I got nearly $6 in quarters, dimes etc.
Other times a couple dimes or whatever here and there. The coolest thing was a Euro. one of the store managers yelled "Umm, Sir.." Told them I have been there 20 mins and no one went up to the machine. Finders keepers. Or so the story goes. It's just like finding $ in a change return.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
relichunters said:
I thought those machines took all coins, I didn't know it was capable of rejecting them. Awesome find!

I think the Coinstar machines "check" coins by testing conductivity. Similar to the notch discrimination on many MDs. The old silver coins must be outside the range and therefore get rejected. My buddy has found a merc and and a silver quarter in the tray on separate occasions.

I'm sure someone here will correct me if I'm wrong...

The bottom line is... ALWAYS check the reject tray when you see a Coinstar machine!

DCMatt

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you go into the bank with $30 and come out with $40?! 8) :D Sounds like a great day to me! ;D

Way to go, Dangit! :thumbsup:

Nana

Cr4zyH0rs3

Mar 3, 2007
MA.
Detector(s) used
X-70 & Myself
I always thought when you walk into a Bank, the coin counter was behind the Tellers desk, I know when I go to the Bank thats where I see.
CoinStar is at Super Markets not Banks. ???

Chico Rico

Dec 28, 2007
Virginia
To date the local coinstars have provided me with:

13 silver Rosie DImes

1 1954 washington quarter

Several Wheats

One Indian Head penny 188?

About 5 euros

and a small canidian fortune

Occasionally an oldtimer will come in with a pile of silver and can not understand why the machine will not accept them. Depending on who's working a nice young feller or two will be more than happy to give cash for the coins since the dang fangled machine won't take 'em.

I'm convience that I gonna find a gold coin in that return tray one say. I just know it.

chico

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions