Coinstar question and sorting options

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have about $130.00+ in coinage (clad) from 2015.
I was considering taking up to the local coinstar and dumping them in but I am concerned about the possibility of jamming due to cruddy zincs.
My other options are coin rolling and taking to my bank OR taking to my bank and have them run it through their sorter.
Would banks even run these through their sorter knowing they are ground finds?
Do they still have to honor the face value of some of the cruddy coins?
What are my best options? This is obviously the first time I will be doing this.
Thanks in advanced.

I would never dump dirty coins into a machine, almost certain to jam it. I always tumble coins first, and pick out the eaten away zincs, as they probably won't go through, either.
My banks do not accept rolled coins. Probably too many people putting washers in the rolls. If you bring in rolled coins in my area, the banks opens them up and run them through their machine anyway.
The Coinstars charge 10% for the coins you run, the banks by me are free, if you have an account there.

Until last year, I ran all of my coins and clad through coinstar machines with no issues. I do rinse sand and dirt off my coins but don't otherwise clean them. Never had a clog and the only rejects were a few banged up or damaged coins and foreign ones. Now I use my local banks coin machine and same thing, not a single issue. I would give it a try, I think you will be fine. If you to get your coin star cash as a gift card, lots to choose from including Amazon, you get the full amount you cash in.

Last edited:
The only thing is Susan, if ya jam up their machine, they might tell you not to put any more in it...:dontknow:
Until last year, I ran all of my coins and clad through coinstar machines with no issues. I do rinse sand and dirt off my coins but don't otherwise clean them. Never had a clog and the only rejects were a few banged up or damaged coins and foreign ones. Now I use my local banks coin machine and same thing, not a single issue. I would give it a try, I think you will be fine. If you to get your coin star cash as a gift card, lots to choose from including Amazon, you get the full amount you cash in.

You Gotta Try This Method of Tumbling Coins.

Started by Loco-Digger, Dec 27, 2015 07:33 AM

Check out this thread under General Discussion...a couple of easy ways to clean up your coins. If you don't have a rock tumbler, you can use a mason jar....pretty simple and they work!!:thumbsup:

If that's the "vinegar & salt and shake the jar" method it works great!

How did you make a link out of that??

Found the topic on page 3-4....
Left-click link to open thread....
Left-click address bar with the "www.---.com" link in browser so entire link turns blue....
Right-click on the now blue link to open the menu...
Left-click on "copy".....
Come back to this page to reply to this thread....
In white typing box right-click to open menu...
Left-click "paste"....

Link should appear and be clickable....it automatically renames the link into the thread title. :occasion14:

I tumble all of my dug clad first. After that, I go thru & pull out the real bad Zincolns, & just throw them away. I wouldn't try pushing them off on a bank machine that will jam. They will remember you the next time you come in !

You can send ANY damaged money, bills or coins, to the mint and it will be replaced at face value. I've use a brass tumbler with walnut bits and brass cleaner to clean coins. My ultrasonic cleaner to clean more valuable coins, just removes the loose gunk not the patina

OMG, here we go again with people overthinking dug clad options...
Why would anybody spend money, so that they can spend money?

Get wrappers from the bank, which are free.
Put 50 pennies in a roll
Put 40 nickels in a roll
Put 50 dimes in a roll
Put 40 quarters in a roll
Do this until you are done...

Deposit them in to your bank account.

Tumbling, coinstar clusters, and wait for it.... sending crusty zinclons to the mint? WTF:BangHead:

Never have I cleaned a coin to appease a bank teller, at the very most, I will take a ball-peen hammer and flatten out the ones that got lawn mower whacked.
There really ought to be a sticky for this.

Last edited:
Our bank has a coin machine, I went in there once with all my "wrapped" coins and had to unwrap them to put them in the machine. The vinegar, salt & coins in a jar with a few shakes works great. It's a quick clean method and I can spend them any where.

I dumped a lot of dirty coins into the bank machine. A few days later I got this dirty dime in change across from the bank. Yep, I think it might have been one of mine.

OMG, here we go again with people overthinking dug clad options...
Why would anybody spend money, so that they can spend money?

Get wrappers from the bank, which are free.
Put 50 pennies in a roll
Put 40 nickels in a roll
Put 50 dimes in a roll
Put 40 quarters in a roll
Do this until you are done...

Deposit them in to your bank account.

Tumbling, coinstar clusters, and wait for it.... sending crusty zinclons to the mint? WTF:BangHead:

Never have I cleaned a coin to appease a bank teller, at the very most, I will take a ball-peen hammer and flatten out the ones that got lawn mower whacked.
There really ought to be a sticky for this.

A sticky on what not to do? This is why many banks no longer accept rolled coins and have a coin machine instead.

If I was the bank manager (which I am not) I would absolutely tell your lazy butt that your rolls will no longer be accepted if you do not at least rinse them off. I cannot think of many credible reasons a bank teller should have to clean dirty coins found underground. Seems like a simple courtesy type thing....idk.

Fill in your holes...don't take shovels to public parks...at least rinse your coins before turning them in. That should be the sticky. :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back