Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I have always felt a bit odd checking the reject tray. Kind of like a like a bum or a wino checking the pay phone coin return. In twenty years of checking, i have yet to find a lone penny in one of those things. ffd

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I've checked them a couple of times, never found anything yet. my best find like that was in a pop machine,
I found 1.75, thought I hit the motherlode

RIcoinhunter

Nov 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
I check the coinstar & found a bunch of clad,5 silver dimes & foreign coins.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I've checked a coin star reject bin like one time. I'd rather find a huge haul searching rolls than find a loner in a reject bin... Not worth looking like I'm struggling for loose change to buy crack with.
To each his own opinion though.

OP
OP
keverett

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
Wow guys :icon_scratch:......I wasn't just searching out a coinstar to look at......I was at my dump bank preparing to dump about $500 in coins and checked the reject tray prior to dumping. But glad to see that you guys are so supportive....Thanks...... :-[

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx
metal detecting last year got me paying attention to pennies. that and the post about the guy who took his found money for the year and bought 10 oz silver. yea I am picking up pennies now. And I was walking by a Constar in an Albertsons last week looked in the reject bin walked out .35 cent richer than I would have.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just giving ya sh*# keverett, it's not a bad idea to check. I've heard of people finding morgan dollars in those and other silver, so it's worth a shot.

iceman0xh

Dec 22, 2009
I work at a grocery store as a front end manager and the amount of stuff I find is amazing....I leave the clad to the store and the pennys for the kids to ride the penny horse. I have found 10 rosies, a war nickel, a silver quarter, and a bunch of foriegn cash so far.

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
Keveret, I pulled more than a dollar out of the reject bin today. I think most of it was mine because I had just dumped. I looked a second time and saw two more dimes still stuck in the tube that dumps into the reject tray. I used to check pay phone coin slots as a kid. I pick up change in the parking lot. I even save my aluminum cans to recycle for cash. There is no sense leaving free money lying around. Nice pull from the reject bin. Hopefully it covered the gas for you dump trip.

Keep checking the slot.

Fathead

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Sometimes at td banks they block the return chute with the bag and if you fill a bag up and they open the machine you can get 10-15 in returns. [ regular, foreign,bent and silver]. Of course when you get real good you can reach in and pull coins that didnt fall off the chute into the tray.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I take a peak at them now and then. Found a few silver dimes and some interesting foreign coins. Hey the price is right :icon_thumright: .

Maine_Jim

goldie1959

Oct 7, 2007
michigan
Detector(s) used
garrett ultra gta 500
i have found that the new digital machines ,vending and coinstar must weigh the coins and reject foreign and silver. when trying to buy coffee out of the machines and rejects my change nine times out of ten it is silver and not clad. found quite a bit of silver this way.

tim2357

Oct 23, 2009
While I was shopping for groceries there was a long line at the coinstar, everyone trying to get the $10 promo they were offering at the time... By the time we checked out the machine was full and out of order... it was so full the pennies were sticking halfway out. Whoever used it last I guess was frustrated and didn't take the change that the machine couldn't process because it was full. He just left it there in the tray.

I have never found any rejects, but I scored several dollars worth that day.

alexfm123

Nov 17, 2009
Far West Texas
In high school, The building where my classes were was part of a church. Inside the "lobby" of the church there were a handful of soda machines, and we would sneak in every now and then and get some soda and snacks. This one time, I bought a coke, and was suprised when my change didnt fall out. I stick my finger in the change slot and find a piece of paper towel stuffed in the hole. I yank it out, and it rained quarters! If i remember correctly, I got around $8 in quarters that day. :)

tim2357

Oct 23, 2009
alexfm123 said:
In high school, The building where my classes were was part of a church. Inside the "lobby" of the church there were a handful of soda machines, and we would sneak in every now and then and get some soda and snacks. This one time, I bought a coke, and was suprised when my change didnt fall out. I stick my finger in the change slot and find a piece of paper towel stuffed in the hole. I yank it out, and it rained quarters! If i remember correctly, I got around $8 in quarters that day. :)

Did you put it there? :laughing7:

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Why would you pay to get money counted???????? Coinstars are a ripoff........I wish owned 10 of them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread