Coinstar

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like if you own a coinstar machine, you can get good stuff on a daily basis.
How much does a Coinstar machine cost? I know that you make a percentage off of the total dollar amount and that you have to work out an agreement with the retailer. Just wondering if this is cost prohibitive or a viable option for coin accumulation.

Scott

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I don't know this for sure, but I believe the Coinstar brand machines are owned by Coinstar. In other words, I don' think they "franchise" them out to individual buyers. Also, from what I have seen they contract out with a coin courier company (like Brinks) to empty the 500+ pound (when full) coin "vault" that each machine holds. So the Coinstar people never get to see the coins unless they open the machine to fix it or something I would guess.

Jim

obsessedwithsilver

Sep 26, 2009
They do own all of the machines. The question is...are there any other coin counters that can be bought. I'd really like to do this too.

OWS

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure if you can find a store (grocery, drug) that would be willing to let you put a machine in their store for a cut of the profits, it could be done. I am sure those machines are pretty costly also.

dkTreasure

Nov 2, 2009
If anyone comes up with or finds a good machine for doing something like this, please share. It would be neat to set up a coin counting machine!

Btw, this is my first post. Been reading this forum for a few weeks now and cool to see all the great finds in here! I tried a few road trips within 10 miles of my place hitting 20+ banks and several of them had already been cleaned out that same day! Not much luck on finds, but I am hooked. One bank had $175 in Eisenhower Dollars. No silver, but did have a 1973D and 1978S. The rest seemed common.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
dkTreasure said:
Btw, this is my first post. Been reading this forum for a few weeks now and cool to see all the great finds in here! I tried a few road trips within 10 miles of my place hitting 20+ One bank had $175 in Eisenhower Dollars. No silver, but did have a 1973D and 1978S. The rest seemed common.

Huge find on the 1973D very rare find.

Mojo

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DK, welcome to Tnet!
I wonder.....
When I worked at a bank about 30 years ago, I used Brandt coin sorter and a coin tube crimper. I'd bet that you could find some used machines somewhere on the net. Possibly work a deal out with a local business to "count and roll coins like the old days."
Of course the business would have to get their cut. Perhaps you could work with their advertising person. Say a grocery store. they put out ads at least once a week. Have the ad announcing that you will be there, say on a Saturday morning or afternoon. This would draw customers. The store would possibly have more sales because of your presence. Giving "the personal touch."
Just an idea for breakfast. :coffee2:

Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread