Coinstar

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know this for sure, but I believe the Coinstar brand machines are owned by Coinstar. In other words, I don' think they "franchise" them out to individual buyers. Also, from what I have seen they contract out with a coin courier company (like Brinks) to empty the 500+ pound (when full) coin "vault" that each machine holds. So the Coinstar people never get to see the coins unless they open the machine to fix it or something I would guess.

Jim

They do own all of the machines. The question is...are there any other coin counters that can be bought. I'd really like to do this too.

OWS

I am sure if you can find a store (grocery, drug) that would be willing to let you put a machine in their store for a cut of the profits, it could be done. I am sure those machines are pretty costly also.

If anyone comes up with or finds a good machine for doing something like this, please share. It would be neat to set up a coin counting machine!

Btw, this is my first post. Been reading this forum for a few weeks now and cool to see all the great finds in here! I tried a few road trips within 10 miles of my place hitting 20+ banks and several of them had already been cleaned out that same day! Not much luck on finds, but I am hooked. One bank had $175 in Eisenhower Dollars. No silver, but did have a 1973D and 1978S. The rest seemed common.

dkTreasure said:
Btw, this is my first post. Been reading this forum for a few weeks now and cool to see all the great finds in here! I tried a few road trips within 10 miles of my place hitting 20+ One bank had $175 in Eisenhower Dollars. No silver, but did have a 1973D and 1978S. The rest seemed common.

Huge find on the 1973D very rare find.

Mojo

DK, welcome to Tnet!
I wonder.....
When I worked at a bank about 30 years ago, I used Brandt coin sorter and a coin tube crimper. I'd bet that you could find some used machines somewhere on the net. Possibly work a deal out with a local business to "count and roll coins like the old days."
Of course the business would have to get their cut. Perhaps you could work with their advertising person. Say a grocery store. they put out ads at least once a week. Have the ad announcing that you will be there, say on a Saturday morning or afternoon. This would draw customers. The store would possibly have more sales because of your presence. Giving "the personal touch."
Just an idea for breakfast. :coffee2:

Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back