flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anybody have a foolproof way to cold smoke pork or venison.
Watched a few YouTube videos and I'm darn confused!

1) So I salt the meat how many times? With Morton's sugar cure or table salt or kosher salt????
2)do I need brown sugar if I use the sugar cure?
3) how long should it sit in the fridge before smoking and how long do I smoke for?
4) place inside a ziplock bag and empty excess moisture or not?

I recently made bacon.. Missed the sugar cure part, I used kosher salt, brown sugar and spices. Let sit in juice for a week and smoked for a week with Apple wood. Seems ok but I didn't use any sugar cure. Don't want to get anybody sick !

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been smoking venison and various other meats for a long time my grandfather taught me how to do it. What type of venison are you trying to smoke links or loose sausage and are you mixing it with pork?

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get yourself some tender quick to help with the curing.

OP
OP
flyadive

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been smoking venison and various other meats for a long time my grandfather taught me how to do it. What type of venison are you trying to smoke links or loose sausage and are you mixing it with pork?

I want to cold smoke quartered roasts and loin of venison and pork.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also will need to know what type of smoker you are using is it and actual smoke house or a portable smoker and what kind of would and or briquets you are using.

OP
OP
flyadive

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also will need to know what type of smoker you are using is it and actual smoke house or a portable smoker and what kind of would and or briquets you are using.

10'x10' empty wood shed. I have a grill piped into the floor about 9' away.

OP
OP
flyadive

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Curtains hanging around meat.
I basically need to know about the salting process in plain English.lol

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK for the venison roast and the pork loin. There are a few different options. Option one you can soak them in a brine before you smoke them they should only need to saok about a day before you smoke them. Brine recipies can be found just about anywhere on the interenet. I prefer brown sugar and a mixture or worchestershire sauce and water or something along those lines. You could also use and injector with italian dressing or whatever fits your taste. This also keeps the meat from drying out. As for smoking the meat I like to use and aged applewood aged at least a year or so. For smoking a roast or a loin no cure additive is needed. You can freeze them after smoking if you decide to. The reason no curing additive is needed is because your going to cook the loin or roast anyway. Also since your piping the smoke in it may take longer for the roast or loin to hold the smoke flavor. You can usually tell when the meat begins to hold the smoke as it will slightly change color. If there is anything else i can help you with feel free to ask. I have smoked everything from cheese to half a pig and will be glad to help anyway I can. Hope this helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions