Cold weather MDing

Toby1858

Mar 21, 2009
Springfield Mo.
Detector(s) used
Whites m6
Thirty three degrees with no wind is about my limit for detecting, unless I get real desperate! A good moist ground is ideal for detecting, if the grounds frozen enough you"ll get the good signals but good luck getting them out of the ground. I know if there's more than a dusting or so of snow it's very labor intensive pushing the coil back and forth through the snow close to the ground! I don't know scientifically how signals differ between wet ground and frozen ground, but if it's frozen, then the targets might as well be in concrete. I've had my m6 now for several years and love it! "To each there own." and good luck!!

Hendrix

Jan 8, 2007
Southeast Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites V3i
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't mind the cold by itself but cold and wet or cold and winding just gets to me. Most metal detector manufacturers have a specified temperature range for the equipment itself. However, my temperature operating range is usually the limiting factor!

Kyboy

Dec 27, 2009
Hardin county KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Minelab Explorer II
Garret GTAX 550
It was 26deg when I finally called it quits. But it was also 1am too! I was finding dropped .69 cal three ringers and couldn't make myself call it quits. I'm a dirt junkie... ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread