OutdoorAdv
Bronze Member
- Joined
- Apr 16, 2013
- Messages
- 2,457
- Reaction score
- 3,353
- Golden Thread
- 1
- Location
- East Coast - USA
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 1
- Detector(s) used
- XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
- Primary Interest:
- Metal Detecting
After I found the King Louis XVI button in the pit last weekend (http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...ing-louis-xvi-button-trash-pit-much-more.html), I couldn't wait to get back and open the adjacent section. I had a few hours after work yesterday, so I made time to go sift this new section.
Not much pottery or glass turned up, but I got a KILLER cufflink and some sweet pewter buttons. I do owe the cufflink, knee buckle and large loop lead button retrieval to some advice metalev4 gave me a couple weeks ago. He recommended that I scrape the clay layer at the bottom of the pit, as he has found some of the best stuff in that hard layer. Previously, I was not seeing much in that layer, so I would begin my back filling. Yesterday the bottom of the pit had a bunch of ferrous signals... I was tired and almost just began my sifting but figured id clear out some of the nails with my pin pointer anyway. Doing this unmasked the knee buckle, cufflink and lead button. Makes me wonder how much I missed before and I will be spending some time searching that clay layer from now on. Thanks metalev4

This is my favorite link yet. It's been a great year for cufflinks for me. My typical links are smooth or toasted with no designs. When this thing turned up I sat there grinning for a solid 5 minutes. What do you guys make of it? Is it the Sun with a vine on the border? Or birds or hearts?


Some good buttons turned up too. Two pewters with designs and one cast lead button with a huge loop on the back. The knee buckle was complete, but folded in half with a large break. It fell apart in my hands, but its still all there. Looks like it has a pretty cool design on it.


A bone button, couple porcelain buttons and a tombac button turned up too. A few pipe stems (one is a large bore), 3 ringer minie, and a thimble piece also came out.



I keep finding pieces of blown glass that would have been incredible if the bottle was complete. I don't know much about glass, but I sure would love to find a bottle like this complete one day.

This is an old bottle lip... again, would be awesome if the whole bottle was attached to it.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting everyone!
Not much pottery or glass turned up, but I got a KILLER cufflink and some sweet pewter buttons. I do owe the cufflink, knee buckle and large loop lead button retrieval to some advice metalev4 gave me a couple weeks ago. He recommended that I scrape the clay layer at the bottom of the pit, as he has found some of the best stuff in that hard layer. Previously, I was not seeing much in that layer, so I would begin my back filling. Yesterday the bottom of the pit had a bunch of ferrous signals... I was tired and almost just began my sifting but figured id clear out some of the nails with my pin pointer anyway. Doing this unmasked the knee buckle, cufflink and lead button. Makes me wonder how much I missed before and I will be spending some time searching that clay layer from now on. Thanks metalev4


This is my favorite link yet. It's been a great year for cufflinks for me. My typical links are smooth or toasted with no designs. When this thing turned up I sat there grinning for a solid 5 minutes. What do you guys make of it? Is it the Sun with a vine on the border? Or birds or hearts?


Some good buttons turned up too. Two pewters with designs and one cast lead button with a huge loop on the back. The knee buckle was complete, but folded in half with a large break. It fell apart in my hands, but its still all there. Looks like it has a pretty cool design on it.


A bone button, couple porcelain buttons and a tombac button turned up too. A few pipe stems (one is a large bore), 3 ringer minie, and a thimble piece also came out.



I keep finding pieces of blown glass that would have been incredible if the bottle was complete. I don't know much about glass, but I sure would love to find a bottle like this complete one day.

This is an old bottle lip... again, would be awesome if the whole bottle was attached to it.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting everyone!
Upvote
28
This place has produced a little bit of everything. Its given me a hell-of-a cross section of colonial to civil war history. I'm down to the only productive thing left being the trash pit though. Maybe v4 (when it releases) on the Deus will squeeze out some more next winter though... who knows. I really want a CW bayonet to show up there to complete the "bayonet trifecta" haha


Mostly I find bigger iron down there. Crazy how the links and buttons have been showing up lately... before I was on a copper streak over the winter. I'm definitely enjoying this button streak and hopefully the next streak isn't aluminum or nails. haha








