Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Colonial Digs and the Devil's Pottery!

Hey guys,

Recently back from overseas and got out to a new colonial site that showed promising signs last month. A bit more erosion revealed a few more finds that were beyond the reach of the CTX last time. Among the finds were 5 flat buttons- a large partial pewter, 3 tomac, and 1 thick copper alloy. The copper alloy button came out of the ground with a silver hue and is about the thickness of a quarter. Sadly, I can't make out the script around the back.

20150905_185110_resized.jpg 20150905_185151_resized.jpg 20150905_185226_resized.jpg 1308596757127.jpg

Surface finds included 3 pipe stems, partial bowl...and a creepy bearded figure staring back at me.

20150905_185120_resized.jpg

Crazy that among all the ways the plate/bowl fractured, the face remained intact. Not to shabby for a 2 hour hunt :laughing7: Thanks for looking!

20150905_185114_resized.jpg 20150905_185059_resized.jpg

Upvote 9

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT hunt JON, It amazing how most of your buttons you have beautiful up right shanks
Man that thick button is something i have never seen.
That figure is creepy. Cool center piece though!
George

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
GREAT hunt JON, It amazing how most of your buttons you have beautiful up right shanks
Man that thick button is something i have never seen.
That figure is creepy. Cool center piece though!
George

Thanks George,

I'm always excited when the shanks survive. While some think flat buttons are wasted finds I quite enjoy digging them. Every now and then you dig a variant that you haven't seen before.

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice buttons bro! I get excited every time a button comes out the ground, even plain ones! Cool looking face piece too. We dug a handful of buttons today also. Mostly flats but one decorative and one silver plated but had a great time anyway. Congrats on your finds and always enjoy seeing treasure y'all dig from the lowcountry!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Say 3 Hail Mary's and DON'T call me in the morning! Did your head rotate 360 degrees after you found it?? :laughing7:

As Doc Holiday said in Tombstone "You are a good woman Kate, then again you may be the anti-Christ!" :hello: :occasion14:

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice buttons bro! I get excited every time a button comes out the ground, even plain ones! Cool looking face piece too. We dug a handful of buttons today also. Mostly flats but one decorative and one silver plated but had a great time anyway. Congrats on your finds and always enjoy seeing treasure y'all dig from the lowcountry!

Hey Darby,

Nice work- let me know if you still want to link up for a group hunt :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Say 3 Hail Mary's and DON'T call me in the morning! Did your head rotate 360 degrees after you found it?? :laughing7:

As Doc Holiday said in Tombstone "You are a good woman Kate, then again you may be the anti-Christ!" :hello: :occasion14:

Well said haha not sure if that particular fragment is period or more modern, but certainly surprised me.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FACE MAY BE THAT OF FAUNE - FIRST THOUGHT BACCHUS CAUSE HE IS GOD OF WINE AND PLENTY (WHICH WOULD MAKE SENSE IF OFF A PITCHER)
- BUT DONT THINK HE HAS POINTY EARS
NICE HUNT

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool that you managed to get the whole face on that pottery shard, and nice buttons!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
with pipe stems and pottery, id say youre on a great site for sure, should think about sifting some of it!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DANG AIRPOWER THATS SOME FINE BUTTONS YOU GOT THERE. MUST BE IN A GOOD SPOT ....

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are great finds! What are the odds of the broken pottery left the face image intact. Creepy indeed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread