What's new

Colonial Dump Site Round 2- HUGE Silver & tiny bucket lister

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2014
Messages
3,712
Reaction score
5,634
Golden Thread
5
Location
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
5
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Headed back out to the colonial dump site that produced the flat buttons and 1812 Naval button yesterday. Tons of targets still remained however today I dug the shallower signals now that the deeper tones had been picked over. Apparently the site was utilized throughout the 19th and early 20th century given the spread of targets. The first dig was tangled in heavy oak roots and was a 30 minute labor to recover. I could see the edge of a copper whatzit and just kept at it until I had it out- Riding SPUR...guessing early 1800s given its copper vs iron.

P1060033.webpP1060034.webpP1060036.webp

As the site progressed a managed a few flat buttons, round balls, and my first early copper of 2016- guessing its a LC but cant be sure due to the salt water corrosion. Also a domed lead/pewter item...perhaps a gaming piece. ID help on these two are greatly appreciated

P1060029.webpP1060030.webpP1060031.webpP1060032.webp

The next pair of targets was a huge surprise. Screaming shallow tone that I figured was almost certainly trash. Given the quality of the digs I wasn't leaving anything behind. Flipped the plug and starting back out me was the familiar edge of American silver...a 1897 Morgan silver dollar to be exact.

20160106_125701_resized.webpmorgan 1.webpmorgan 2.webp

An even bigger surprise was the smaller silver tone a few feet away- flipped the plug and removed a tiny silver coin...My first TRIME!

trime 1.webptrime 2.webp

I can understand losing the trime, but the Morgan...how to you drop a coin that heavy. Here's the largest and the smallest 1800s American silver dug in the same hunt :laughing7:

morgan 3.webp

Heading back to the main pit I dug 2 screaming signals side by side- a Victorian button from the late 19th to early 20th century and a lost Catholic cross. No clue how the pair ended up in the marsh, but it did give me goosebumps when I held them together.

P1060023.webpP1060024.webpP1060026.webpP1060027.webp

All in all an awesome followup from yesterday's hunt- can't wait for the warm weather this weekend.

P1060015.webp
 
Upvote 62
Great assortment of finds man. Way to start off the new year!
 
Big silver , tiny silver and the coolest looking button I have ever seen . What a day
 
Dang. Incredible hunt.
 
Still on a roll! Congratulations AGAIN (lol)
 
Dang what a fantastic day! I'm very jealous of that trime, major bucket list item for me. Great site. Clean it out and share more!

Thanks J there's still hope as long as these keep popping out if the dirt, good luck
 
Great hunt getting the two silvers on both ends of the size scale, very cool. Liking the button the scene is great on it and will look great in the display.

Thanks pepper, a bit if research revealed it most like from 1900 to 1915. They are called scenic buttons and we're popular in the Victorian era. Has such a nostalgic look
 
Awesome hunt, love the silver and button recovery.
 
The silvers are super digs and the button might not
be cw but it's super awesomeness!!! Love the detail! Great finds bud!
Ps: That's a New Orleans mint on the morgan
 
Last edited:
A Morgan and a Trime in one hunt is a dream for anyone. That button though. Incredible!
 
Great stuff...congrats!
 
A Morgan and a Trime in one hunt is a dream for anyone. That button though. Incredible!

Thanks Napa, I was shocked when the trime dropped out of the plug. Rang it at 12-20 on the CTX at 10 inches. I was hoping the button was earlier but still a unique dig.
 
Congratz on a great hunt! 2 bucket listers in one hunt is pretty dang good!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom