Eastcoasthunter21
Bronze Member
- Joined
- Feb 24, 2015
- Messages
- 1,154
- Reaction score
- 2,556
- Golden Thread
- 2
- Location
- New York/Florida
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 2
- Detector(s) used
- DEUS ALL THE WAY
- Primary Interest:
- Metal Detecting
Hello all I gave had this co versation with scrappy ,bartek and a few others
I believe the " colonial period should end at the beginning of the Industrial revolution.
That is when I think the big changes of life in america
And I like all of your finds , but y personal interest is colonial era history. For me up till around 1830
(Who don't like seated coins )/
Great idea out door ADV I would visit it daily
I believe the " colonial period should end at the beginning of the Industrial revolution.
That is when I think the big changes of life in america
And I like all of your finds , but y personal interest is colonial era history. For me up till around 1830
(Who don't like seated coins )/
Great idea out door ADV I would visit it daily
There's no way you could set the timeline at 1776, or even 1812 because there's just too many things you can't date that tightly, and many people are way off in dating. Just think of how many times you seen someone post... "hunted a 1600s (or 1700s) site today!" ..and all the finds were 1830s or 1840s. Not to mention none of these sub forums seem to be very busy so if you make the posting guideline too strict it would be doomed from the beginning. So my suggestion is as I said call it North American Colonial and let people post finds based on what Colonial means to them. If an American posts an 1860s sash buckle, or a Canadian an 1890s watch fob, well that's a good opportunity for some to learn about what their items date, and what this forum is all about. And no I don't mean two sets of rules for whether you are American or Canadian, but you actually could make a little bit of an argument for that given the different history. You guys should be able to post a 1790s Kentucky cent, but I should also be able to post an 1820s Bust & Harp token or an 1830s Nova Scotia Thistle token, as both are Canadian Colonial tokens. Anyway, that's my thoughts on it all.








