Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a fun hunt yesterday. Sunny skies, and temps in the high 20's. Not bad for late January in Massachusetts. Three hours spent prowling around in the woods produced a few colonial era finds. The best was a Woods Hibernia half penny ( 1722-1724). The obverse is pretty wiped out, but there is some reasonable detail on the reverse.

002.JPG 011.JPG 013.JPG

I also managed a knee buckle frame and a button

015.JPG 017.JPG 019.JPG

The ground is near frozen, and the "polar vortex" is going to make an appearance later this week. Not sure when I'll have a chance to get back out. Good luck to all!

Upvote 34

SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NICE!!!

I just came to grips with the fact that the season might be over for me here in PA, last weekend the ground was like concrete here and today it's snowing/sleeting/freezing raining. I should just be happy I got to hunt deep into January, and before we know it spring will happen. Time to research some spots and keep my gear clean I suppose.

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds! Congrats on the old half penny

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt, especially considering the time of year!

OP
OP
Silvermonkey

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone. The time of year is a challenge, especially given the recent sub-freezing temps, and the predicted Nor-Easter for Monday and Tuesday. If the ground isn't conpletely frozen, I may have a chance to get out for a hunt on Sunday or early Monday. I really enjoy detecting this time of year, given the much reduced ground cover in the woods. I always feel like I have the ability to get into spots not available during the rest of the year. So far...2021 is off to a promising start!

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice copper, still on my list!! I’ve only been out 3 times this year with a grand total of a toasted KGII, a 1871 IHP and the wedding band I helped find for the owner. That was last Sunday and my wrists still hunt from chopping at that frozen ground. I haven’t tried the woods yet, but it’s probably dig-able given the snow and leaf cover. Last year, me and my buddy Jeff only missed 3 or 4 days due to frozen ground, might be time to hit Hampton or Rye beach or maybe cape cod...............I’ll have to give Russ a call...........if you read this Russ, let’s set something up(;

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice early finds SM, love the in-situ pic as well. :thumbsup:
The knee buckle is a unique shape, you don't see those being found very often.

Dave

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds neighbor! Seems like we may be on hold for a short while.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread