Colonial Patriotic button. Some 18th century copper coins and relics.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The temperature in Quebec was unbearable in the last few weeks reaching 42 C ( 107 F) with humidity. This week it drastically fell so I finally manged to get out and check a new spot I was eager to explore as I suspected some early activity might have taken place in that wooded area. Haven't had much in the first few hours , just an occasional shot musket ball (still a good sign) until I started hearing some deep iron. Decided to concentrate on that area a bit more and all thou the finds weren't abundant pulled a few interesting ones.

First got some type of early wood working tool. Was hoping for an axe and worked really hard to get it out of the roots. Oh well..

DSC_0011.JPG
DSC_0012.JPG

A spill of George III halfpenny's. All from a small area so I guess lost at the same time.

DSC_0010.JPG

A nice flower design pewter button. Strangely, it had an iron shank going right through.

DSC_0016.JPG
DSC_0019.JPG

And my favorite find of the day. A pewter button with the writing I AXE MY WAY. It was really hard to find any match online. The slogan itself seems to be associated with Connecticut. Albert mentions the button in his book (Record of American Uniform and Historical Buttons).

20170930_104154.jpg
20170929_141230.jpg
20170929_192054.jpg
20170929_201315.png
Screenshot_20170929-201228.jpg

I have only seen two mentions of the larger variety from Albert's book. One being sold at icollector online auction in 2011

http://www.icollector.com/I-Axe-My-Way-Political-Uniform-Pewter-Button_i11029527

Unfortunately no records of mine. If someone has any additional info it would be greatly appreciated.

A nice little hunt. Glad to have been able to get out again.

Last edited:
Upvote 39

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It only takes one keeper to make the day's hunt and that button really did it. Liking it, congrats!:occasion14:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just when you think you can't do better than a colonial copper spill you get the old "mystery" button. WOW! One heluva sight and hunt you had mate. Someone mentioned sifting the WHOLE place. LOL! I hope you can get another example of your AXE button and some more details. Much success on your return trips.:headbang:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some excellent finds. That is a very interesting and awesome button!

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Something very different! Proof you never know what that next target will be.

Yes, it is. I'm wondering how it ended up in Canada. Could have been brought by settlers I guess. Really hoping someone will reply with an other example.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't think I've ever seen one of those posted here (or anywhere).
Killer find, and in fantastic condition.
Can't wait for more people to chime in, that one has a story to tell.
Kudos!
Carl

Thank you.

Same here. If the button existed in Albert's book someone must have an other example somewhere.

OtakuDude

Apr 16, 2007
Monee, IL
That's a fantastically rare button. I have to wonder what's behind the meaning of the phrase "I Axe My Way" though. That could be interesting.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It only takes one keeper to make the day's hunt and that button really did it. Liking it, congrats!:occasion14:

It sure does. The three half pennies would still make for a great hunt but that button made it even more special.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just when you think you can't do better than a colonial copper spill you get the old "mystery" button. WOW! One heluva sight and hunt you had mate. Someone mentioned sifting the WHOLE place. LOL! I hope you can get another example of your AXE button and some more details. Much success on your return trips.:headbang:

Thank you! I'll do my best. Good luck on your hunts.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats, Anton, this is an incredible piece of history.

Folks, this is a serious find, and appears to be ULTRA RARE. Like, may be one of two in existence.

It's going to take a bit more research to see if it can be pinned down any further, but we've got a button that appears in one of the definitive reference materials yet doesn't show up elsewhere in searchable museum holdings or auction records. A larger cousin of this button has just a couple of examples on record...including the link posted to the one which sold for $1,200 six years ago. And the phrase does seem to be a derivative of "I cut my way through," found on fantastically rare and valuable Higley Coppers
higley.jpg
http://www.coinweek.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/higleyxpleasend.jpg

Looks like A. Albert (the author of the reference book) died in 1983, otherwise I would have emailed him : ) I've put a bit of time into this today and haven't found anything more, so hoping some others can chime in.

As it stands it is a banner worthy find. But the mystery still deserves to be solved...

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a fantastically rare button. I have to wonder what's behind the meaning of the phrase "I Axe My Way" though. That could be interesting.

Thank you. I believe it's a mystery at this moment but it does look like a motto from a Connecticut copper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread