What's new

Colonial Relic?

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
Joined
May 23, 2009
Messages
1,455
Reaction score
267
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have no clue what this is. Any ideas?

Kirk
 

Attachments

  • DSCF3168.webp
    DSCF3168.webp
    15.5 KB · Views: 346
  • DSCF3166.webp
    DSCF3166.webp
    12 KB · Views: 334
  • DSCF3168.webp
    DSCF3168.webp
    15.5 KB · Views: 333
  • DSCF3166.webp
    DSCF3166.webp
    12 KB · Views: 343
:read2:

th-Looks like a leather stud, mount, of Horse decoration :) it fits the date to your site as well...17thc-19thc :thumbsup:

SS
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
:read2:

Looks like a leather stud, of Horse decoration :)

SS

I agree :icon_thumright: Nice find :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
This one looks more like a silver escutcheon or wrist inlay from a English gun, 1780-1820-ish.

[edit]

OK not silver. Couldn't taste it/smell it. :laughing9:
 
Upvote 0
Lucas said:
This one looks more like a silver escutcheon or wrist inlay from a English gun, 1780-1820-ish.
Silver :icon_scratch:

SS
 
Upvote 0
Lucas said:
This one looks more like a silver escutcheon or wrist inlay from a English gun, 1780-1820-ish.

It is brass, but could it still be from an English gun? :icon_scratch: :dontknow: Sources?

Kirk
 
Upvote 0
Kirk PA said:
Lucas said:
This one looks more like a silver escutcheon or wrist inlay from a English gun, 1780-1820-ish.

It is brass, but could it still be from an English gun? :icon_scratch: :dontknow: Sources?

Kirk
:icon_scratch:

How would those prongs on the back, work on a gun :icon_scratch: surely a oval mount for leather

SS
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
How would those prongs on the back, work on a gun :icon_scratch:

Surely you know English cast gun inlays? Most of them have "prongs."

I just pulled this off of a gun (no, really) for you. Below that are some repros. Note the curvature in the second. I will try to locate a original with the prongs.
 

Attachments

  • Gun part.webp
    Gun part.webp
    399.9 KB · Views: 296
  • in-thumb-f-s_1.webp
    in-thumb-f-s_1.webp
    8.6 KB · Views: 273
  • E292.webp
    E292.webp
    6.3 KB · Views: 284
Upvote 0
Sure looks like the thumb piece on the pistol. I learn something tonight because I would have said it was from a harness. But after seeing the pic of the pistol and the fact that the piece posted is curved I'd now have to say I would have been wrong.
 
Upvote 0
Lucas said:
Silver Searcher said:
How would those prongs on the back, work on a gun :icon_scratch:

Surely you know English cast gun inlays? Most of them have "prongs."

I just pulled this off of a gun (no, really) for you. Below that are some repros. Note the curvature in the second. I will try to locate a original with the prongs.
Thanks for posting the picture :) you didn't have to wreck your gun :D but I'm still not convinced, in your picture it clearly shows the prongs in the centre :P were as the ones on the one posted is are clearly at the end, like the ones on mounts, that are used on leather, and furniture, and miscellaneous, which I suppose could include your gun inlays, but the ones I have seen are usually a lot more elaborate than that. :)


http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=20569&cat=45

SS
 
Upvote 0
I can see it being a gun inlay and think the shape indicate that what it is. Nice work Lucas :icon_thumright:

Kirk PA does your piece have any engravings?
 
Upvote 0
It doesn't have any engravings. I had a feeling that it was something more than a horse harness relic. :P I will chalk it up!

Kirk
 
Upvote 0
Kirk PA said:
It doesn't have any engravings. I had a feeling that it was something more than a horse harness relic. :P I will chalk it up!

Kirk

Thanks Kirk and I'm still thinking firearm on this piece. A harness leather decoration (only got one of those) would make it to my relic display any day :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
in your picture it clearly shows the prongs in the centre :P

Just on this inlay I posted, because of its shape. The prongs are usually near the edge.

I'm stickin' to my guns on this one. :laughing9:

This what's it is engraved... two simple lines around the edge. And it is curved, and beveled for inletting.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom