What's new

Colonial Sword Hilt??

xlt nh

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2006
Messages
550
Reaction score
11
Golden Thread
0
Location
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300
This was dug in June of '07....and I believe it may be a sword hilt. ??? ??? Relicdude07 recently dug one that was similar...so I decided to post mine to see if anyone could give a positive ID.

Looks to be made of brass and has 2 'scenery' designs that look to be hand made...very ornate...and some of the gold guilt left on it. I was CAKED in a thick black residue, like it was in a fire and a something melted on it....really don't know.

If anyone can give me any information on it I'd appreciate it. :)

HH, Hank 8)
 

Attachments

  • Hilt 2.webp
    Hilt 2.webp
    25.3 KB · Views: 492
  • Find 6-7-07.webp
    Find 6-7-07.webp
    16.9 KB · Views: 482
Can you put a ruler or shape in the pics to show size?

Depenting on the size, it could also be the decorative part of a drawer pull.
 
Upvote 0
Judging by the size of the dirt pieces, it looks too small for anything other than a drawer pull decorative cover.

Don
 
Upvote 0
im not a furniture expert but i dont think many drawer pulls had square holes. it looks like a sword piece to me.
 
Upvote 0
hollowpointred said:
im not a furniture expert but i dont think many drawer pulls had square holes. it looks like a sword piece to me.

I have found many square holed furniture fittings
 
Upvote 0
A square hole on furniture fitting would keep the decorative piece from rotating around marring the wood finish.
 
Upvote 0
Here is a decorative furniture cover piece and a drawer pull knob.

Don
 

Attachments

  • decorativecover.webp
    decorativecover.webp
    40.8 KB · Views: 370
  • knob (2).webp
    knob (2).webp
    75.7 KB · Views: 384
  • knobside.webp
    knobside.webp
    23.8 KB · Views: 382
Upvote 0
I agree - drawer pull
drawer pull.webp

Mike
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the info guys....I need to dig it out to get an exact measurement, but I believe it's about 4" wide. I'll put a pic up later with a ruler.
~Hank 8)
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom