Colorado Springs Trip

RTH

Sep 22, 2015
Hunterdon County NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, White's MXT, Minelab EQ800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a short trip to Colorado Springs coming up in July. I am looking for suggestions on "Must See and Do" activities while I am in the area. I am looking for ideas on where to do some gold panning or rock hounding. Unfortunately, I will not be able to bring my detector with me, but if you're on this site, you probably have the same interests as I do.

I would appreciate any suggestions, or if you want to lend me some gear, I would be happy to join you in a hunt.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
US Olympics museum is good. Pike’s Peak is always popular. I think it’s a neat city to visit. Very scenic locations. Enjoy!

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Garden of the Gods. Fairplay and Cripple Creek for nearby panning. Also, check the CO state thread.
I'll be up there the last two weeks of August.

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Manitou Cliff Dwellings
Cave of the Winds
NORAD
Pikes Peak
Dragon Man
Air Force Academy
Ghost Town Museum
Colorado Spring Pioneer Museum.
Google?
BTW you can't carry in CO.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Summit County and have no use for the Colorado Springs area, however from what I have been told by people who do, golddigger14s has pretty much nailed it for you. You'll have a great time even if you just tour the country. BTW, bring your own bags for shopping, cause stores will charge you for them, if they even offer them. (And remember, that is not a 'tax')

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is sluicing, gold panning, and metal detecting on the South Platte River that runs through the City of Fair Play. For a $10 daily permit or $100 per year, you can do the above-mentioned mining activities (non-motorized) in the dredge tailings and the river that is located in a park that runs the whole length of the city.

If you're a member of the GPAA there are four club claims just north of the City of Buena Vista on the Arkansas River. There are others in the state but those are the easiest GPAA claims to get to from Colorado Springs.

If you want more access to club claims you can join the Gold Prospectors of Colorado (GPOC) for $25 a year.

There's also Arapahoe Barr Gold Panning Park in Golden, CO. It's on Clear Creek and it's free, but it's also non-motorized.

If you decide to go to Manitou Springs along with the shopping and the restaurants, there are around 13 mineral springs along the main street. You can get a free map of the springs in any shop and as you walk around you can locate each spring and drink the water and decide which one you like better.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
The mining museum is tops, I hear.
Western Museum of Mining and Industry. 225 N Gate Blvd in Colorado Springs.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The mining museum is tops, I hear.
Western Museum of Mining and Industry. 225 N Gate Blvd in Colorado Springs.
If you go to the mining museum make sure you bring a bag of carrots to feed the donkeys. Their really cute and it's fun for everyone to feed them.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Adventure_CogRailway_Hero_Trackcrop_b415abe1-8b5e-44ee-933f-285e498db2f6.jpg
    Adventure_CogRailway_Hero_Trackcrop_b415abe1-8b5e-44ee-933f-285e498db2f6.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 8

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Whoa, $60 for the train or $15 per person to drive up. Here's a whole list:

OP
OP
R

RTH

Sep 22, 2015
Hunterdon County NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, White's MXT, Minelab EQ800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the suggestions. I certainly will have a few decisions to make.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread