Commander coils compared to Coiltek coils for a Minlab SD 3000?

faaus

Greenie
Apr 23, 2006
My prospecting partner just bought a 14" Commander coil for his Minelab SD 3000. He hasn't found a nugget where he's working, in AZ. He feels like he would have more confidence in a Coiltek coil, so I've tried locating some head-to-head comparisons of the two online with no luck.

Anyone care to venture their opinions about the relative merits of each manufacturer?

Thanks and Happy Beeping,

faaus

Upvote 0

patches63

Jun 20, 2009
republic of trinity usa
Detector(s) used
gpx4500,gmt
did minelab add a 14 incher to their commander line of coils?anyhow,no coils made for these machines are as tough and reliable as the commander coils.the solid surfaces make recovering targets easier,as you can dump handfulls of your hole spoils directly on them for a quicker target id.and the big heavy commander coils go through grass better.but heavy they are,thus the popular coiltek goldstalker series.coiltek still makes the solid 14 inch round coils,inn dd pro,mono,or anti interference versions.my 14x9 elliptical goldstalker stayed on my gpx for over a year.have found bits as small as.02 gram with it, and is light enough to forgo the use of a bungee or hipstick.i keep the upgraded bungee wrapped on the shaft,because you never know,on a long hunt it would help conserve energy.the popular aftermarket coils are mainly just much lighter.regardless of the coils weight,it has to be placed over gold to find any.any round coiltek 14 incher,or the commander 15x12e,will find gold at good depths.the ellipticals are much more sensitive to small shallow gold,while the round mono coils go deeper,at the expense of some sensitivity to smaller targets.in the end,use what your confident with,only a positive mindset will keep you digging all those holes.for a good info site,check out golddetecting4umer,there are threads for the differrent coil brands,is an ozzy minelab site,tons of info on this stuff.good luck

Attachments

• 1212001244.jpg
    1212001244.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 637
  • 1212001244.jpg
    1212001244.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 456
OP
OP
F

faaus

Greenie
Apr 23, 2006
Thanks for that informative reply Patches! I may have misunderstood him on the diameter of the Commander loop that he bought during this trip (the cell call was iffy) it may have been a 16".

Either way your reply is helpful and we both appreciate your help.

Happy Beeping,
faaus

patches63

Jun 20, 2009
republic of trinity usa
Detector(s) used
gpx4500,gmt
ml makes a dandy little 5x10 must be sensitive to flyspecks,as my 5x10 coiltek joey mono sure is.then the 11 rounds,15x12ellipticals,maybe the best ever gpx coils.18 inch rounds in dd and mono.many of us wish they would expand the commander line to include those other sizes.perhaps some lightened versions as well.coiltek and nuggetfinders just have to roundout the arsenal.the goldstalker coils are very habit forming.high performance combined with lightness.one year ago,when the sudan gold rush peaked demand for 4500 machines and mono 15x12 commander coils,that coil alone was fetching up to 3k on ebay.4500 units up to 10k.and some diehards still kept those big ellipticals coils,as they couldnt be replaced at that time.

Attachments

• PICT0002.JPG
    PICT0002.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 497

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions