Commerative coins and silver

hikermike

Dec 16, 2004
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2
? These were found monday at an old church site. Not as good or as old as the reales I have found here, but just as fun!!!!! One is a James Maddison commerative,and the other is a Thomas Jefferson.
? The other coin is a 1942 Jamaican penny. The other pic is a piece of silver that I had almost thrown away thinking it was trash. After realizing it might be something, I had it checked.It is silver and weighs in at 27.96 grams.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Happy Hunting!!
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Mike

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing hunk of silver. I wonder if it was a silver plate that Melted in a fire. are you familiar with the Church's History. Did it Burn ?

OnionRings

Dec 15, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Nice finds!

Question about the silver?

It appears that it was melted but you won't be able to tell unless you cut it in half. the value as it sits is about $6.00 US dollars

I would check this site again if there was a fire there should be more at the location grid it very slow and dig any recation! There could be gold also. do you have a gold machine? if not find some that dose and go back.

Were you detecting in the all metal mode?

If not I would go back and investigate it further most detector will go deeper in all metal.

Onion

onion

OP
OP
hikermike

hikermike

Dec 16, 2004
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2
There was a fire that burned the second church to the ground in the early 1800's. That could be where the silver came from. The area I found it was very near to the location of that church.
I was using a white's xlt, but wasnt in all metal mode. I dont' have a gold machine and haven't used the xlt in prospecting mode. I do have the blue max 15 inch coil.
Would this work? What should I look for if I cut the silver in half??
mike

OnionRings

Dec 15, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Mike,

There will be impuritys mixed into the silver.

The XLT is a good detector I might go back and check it in the all metal mode and see what turns up I am willing to bet there is more.

Onion

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You probably be better off searching in Disc. the ground would most definately be full of nails. plus SILVER will come thru in any setting. Personally, if it were me, I'd exaust every signal in Minimum Disc, first, then go back for the Iron signals to get them out the way. JUST MY OPINION.

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Before you cut up that silver hunk, you might check with a local historical society. Tell them the story of the burned church, and where/ how you found it. They might pay more for it than scrap value.

OP
OP
hikermike

hikermike

Dec 16, 2004
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2
The silver is still intact! That's a good idea L.R.! I was was just curious about what to look for if I did! lol.
I just hope there is more. The custodian told me that there have been quite a few people detecting on this property over the years. The good thing is that he said they have all been out where the church is now, not on the back of the property where the first three church's were. There is a rock monument that commerates the first three church's but it is next to the Church we use today, and is totally on the opposite side of the property from the original church's actual location. In all there is about 12 acres of land here that can be detected and I have covered just a little so far.

gsmeiers

Nov 25, 2004
Appleton, WI
I'm curious as to when the church burned.. Ie.. What day of the week it burned. I was thinking, if it burned on say a Monday...or earlier in the week... That sundays offering may have got burned up with it.. And back in those days, I'm guessing the offering would have been quite heavy on the coin side..

Just a thought... for whatever it's worth.

OP
OP
hikermike

hikermike

Dec 16, 2004
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2
Good point!! From the research I have done. The exact day wasnt mentioned, but I can check with our preacher and the church office to to see if there are any old books or papers that may have more details. I can also check with some of the other members to see if they by chance have something passed down through the generations that may have the date that it burned. I had been told it was in the very early 1800's, but have since found it was 1832.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread