CONFEDERATE BUTTON FOUND THIS WEEKEND

gxray

Jan 30, 2009
I hunted a field this weekend where I have found some relics in the past. First I found a flat button. Then some melted lead and the usual can slaw....another non-ferrous signal ...I was expecting another piece of aluminum, ...boy was I surprised. I had found a cuff sized button. I gently rubbed some dirt off the face and couldn't believe what I saw...the block letter "R". Whoo-hooo! . This is a Confederate Rifleman's button... rather rare as Confederate lettered buttons go. I hunted another hour or so and found the backs of 2 more buttons, one cuff size and the other coat size. I returned on Sunday and only found one melted 3 ringer. Here is a pic of the Rifleman's button before cleaning.
I apologize for the quality of the pic. Taken with my cell phone on a cloudy day.

Thanks for looking and HH y'all

Attachments

• 0205111624.jpg
    0205111624.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 589
Upvote 0

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. Picture is clear enough to i.d. And, good that you are going back and canvasing that area. No telling
what else is hidden in the dirt. Good luck. :thumbsup:

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome find...REb R buttons are indeed rare, depending on condition you should be looking at 500-800$ Great find...CONGRATS...I am jealous

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you ever open that safe? If so what was the outcome?

OP
OP
G

gxray

Jan 30, 2009
sekypaleo said:
That is an awesome find...REb R buttons are indeed rare, depending on condition you should be looking at 500-800$ Great find...CONGRATS...I am jealous
This button is in perfect , solid shape with shank intact

CRUSADER said:
the safe remains unopened as of now but I hope to film the opening of it when I finally get to it.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Congrats on the R button It looks to be in great shape.
Dman

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gxray said:
sekypaleo said:
This button is in perfect , solid shape with shank intact

CRUSADER said:
the safe remains unopened as of now but I hope to film the opening of it when I finally get to it.

cool :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread